Thursday, July 29, 2010

Cold soup and turkey sliders

I started cooking early today as I will be taking my neighbor to her therapy at 5:00 PM. The first thing I made was a cold soup called Mexican Tomatillo Avocado Soup. I got the recipe out of Sunset Magazine, August 2010. Serves 6

1 ¼ # tomatillos, husked and rinsed
1 white onion, finely chopped
2 ½ C chicken broth
1 garlic clove, minced
¾ English cucumber, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
2T lime juice
2 t green hot sauce
1 ½ t minced fresh oregano leaves
1 avocado, chopped
3 T chopped cilantro (I used garden fresh Italian parsley)
1. Chop tomatillos coarsely. Puree half each of tomatillos, onion and broth in a blender with garlic. Rub through a fine strainer into a stainless steel bowl; discard contents of strainer. Finally chop the remaining tomatillos. Add remaining tomatillos onion, broth, cucumber, lime juice, hot sauce and oregano to bowl and stir.
2. Nest bowl in ice water; stir often until cold about 15 minutes. Add avocado and cilantro and if you like, more lime juice and hot sauce.
I skipped the ice bath as I was finished and had it in the refrigerator by 11:00 AM.
To go with this I wanted Greek Turkey Burger Sliders. The ones I had purchased from Wegman’s were good, but when I was reading the label to see what was in them, ¾ of the ingredients were chemical sounding. This recipe comes from FoodTV’s Ellie Krieger. She made 4 large burgers; I turned it into 10 sliders. I used my new slider maker and Jim will grille them in the rack that came with it. It holds 9.
Burgers:
2 t EVOO
½ small onion, chopped
2C lightly packed baby spinach leaves, coarsely chopped
¼ C crumbled feta cheese
1 T chopped fresh dill or 1 t dried
½ t ground black pepper
1 ¼ # lean ground turkey breast (I only had one #)
¼ t salt
Whole wheat slider buns
Heat 2 t EVOO in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and add the onion and cook until soft and translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the spinach and cook until wilted. Remove the pan from the heat and cool. I put the feta, dill salt and pepper in a bowl; added the cooled onion mixture and turkey burger. I mixed well and formed my sliders placing them on a plate. Cover with plastic wrap until ready to grille. Season the burgers on both sides with additional salt and pepper if desired.
I served with tomato slices, lettuce and Yogurt Sauce:
½ C nonfat Greek style yogurt
2 t fresh lemon juice
2 t EVOO
1 clove garlic, minced
1 t chopped fresh dill
1/8 t salt
Pinch of ground black pepper
In a small bowl mix all ingredients and cover with wrap until ready to serve.
The sliders were good, but Wegman’s were better. Jim served a Viansa wine called Athena. It was good with the turkey sliders, but the soup is like a very tart gazpacho. So it overpowered the wine. We have more than half left over. We only cooked half the sliders. I will decide tomorrow whether to freeze or have leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment