Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Frittata with Chard, Sausage, and Feta

Tonight’s meal was wonderful. I decided to make this as the last two nights we have had big storms as we were getting ready to grille. Tonight we prepare and no storm. This recipe comes from the June, Bon Appetite. I know it is almost the end of July, but the July issue is not as good as June. This is listed as an appetizer. Makes 20 bites is the quantity listed. But they do say you can use it as lunch or brunch. I served it tonight with cantaloupe wedges. Jim really like it. We had Black Mountain Pinot.
Nonstick vegetable oil spray
1- 12 oz bunch Swiss chard, stems and center ribs, removed.
1T EVOO
1 C chopped onion
8 oz mild Italian sausage, casing removed, sausage broken into 1” pieces
8 large eggs
¼ C heavy whipping cream
½ t salt
1/2 t freshly ground black pepper
1 C crumbled feta cheese (4.5 oz)
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray an 8x8x2 glass baking pan with nonstick spray. I did not follow the directions for the swish chard. I cut the stems and removed the ribs. I had washed the chard and as I trimmed it I put it in a colander to drain. I placed it in a microwave proof dish with lid and cooked it for fresh vegetables. I drained it on multiple paper towels, and squeezed it dry with more. Chop it and set aside.
Next heat a skillet with the EVOO; add the onion and cook on med for 4 minutes. Add the sausage and break up and continue to cook for an additional 5 minutes. Cool.
Whish eggs, cream, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add chard and cooled sausage mixture, then the feta. Stir to blend. Place in prepared pan and bake until set in center 45 to 55 minutes. Cool 15 to 20 minutes if cutting up for an appetizer. I cooled for 10 minutes and served with cantaloupe wedges.
This was a really good dinner. For the next two nights you will not hear from me. I am participating in the ladies member guest. I have invited 3 players way beyond my capacity. Maybe they will carry me to victory, if less; we will have fun. Being so un-athletic, I did not even get it with the invitations. They called it a tail gate party. I’m thinking elegant dress like at the grass horse races. I look again and realize it is talking about football. Who in the world thought that ladies, football and golf went together?Oh, well!
You will not see a blog until Sunday. We are going to Elaine’s for dinner that night, but I am making the potato dish. The club is feeding me for the next two days.

No comments:

Post a Comment