Friday, July 30, 2010

Oeufs en Cocote

I have been reading my French cookbooks and we are planning a trip to Normandy. My Williams Sonoma Cookbook, Paris says that Parisians never eat eggs for breakfast but often have them for a first course for Lunch. So today I made Baked Eggs in Cream for lunch with a salad. For the salad I combined romaine and arugula. I added an avocado and orange slices and dressed it with the leftover dressing from the lobster salad on Tuesday night. I wish I’d added sunflower seeds, but we were in a rush to go play golf. Didn't have time to think.
Recipe serves 4 but is easy to cut in half
1-2 T unsalted butter
8 eggs
1-1/1/2 T chopped fresh chives
Salt and pepper
¼ C heavy cream
¼# gruyere cheese, shredded
2 T grated Parmesan Cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and have boiling water available. I have instant hot water on the sink.
2. Place 4 ¾ C ramekins or custard cups in a large, deep baking pan. Place a generous dab of butter in the bottom of each ramekin. I also sprayed them with spray butter. Break 2 eggs in each ramekin. Sprinkle the eggs evenly with the chives, salt and pepper. Drizzle evenly with the cream. Top each ramekin with the cheeses.
3. Pour boiling water into the baking pan to reach about halfway up the sides of the ramekins and cover the pan with a sheet of aluminum foil. Bake about 10 minutes. Mine were not done. I had to bake them 4 minutes longer using the Advantium, speed cook setting. I have trouble getting things done in my oven.
It says to serve with Champagne. Unfortunately lunch before golf was served with iced green tea. These eggs were really good. I could eat this and a Caesar salad forever.
Dinner is the second half of the turkey burgers from last night grilled and the remainder of the soup. I worked out this morning, made lunch, and played golf, done for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment