Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Decadent Dinner

I was reading the Private Club Magazine last week and came upon different salads that looked delicious from different eating clubs associated with Club Corp. that owns our Golf Club. This was called Lobster, Arugula, and Fennel Salad with Orange from Executive chef Greg Carso of the Metropolitan Club in Chicago. We have eaten in this club and the food was good, so I decided to make it. I call this a decadent dinner as this is a Wednesday! Who eats lobster on a Wednesday? Well, what the heck, we are retired. We can have a fine breakfast on Monday instead of Sunday and even Max had a peanut butter Frosty Paws today, in the middle of the week. I did buy frozen lobster shelled in a container instead of buying fresh lobster or frozen lobster tails. I have to say I regret it. If you are going to the trouble to make this, go all the way and cook the lobster fresh and clean it for the salad. I thought the frozen lobster tasted watery. Other than that, this was very, very good.
Serves 6 (I cut it down for the 2 of us)
1 large fennel bulb
1 large bunch baby arugula (about 6 cups)
3 large oranges, peeled and segmented
1 C hearts of palm, drained and chopped on a bias
Citrus Dressing (recipe follows)
4 cooked lobster tails, (6 oz each)(these were $53 each in the grocery store frozen)This would be a better dish to make when Costco has lobster tails on sale.
¼ C pomegranate seeds (can substitute blueberries)
Slice fennel bulb thin and remove lacy frond tips. Set fronds aside for garnish. In a large bowl, combine sliced fennel, arugula, orange segments and hearts of palm. I sliced the fennel on a mandolin to get really thin pieces. Add Citrus Dressing and toss. Divide salad evenly and top each serving with 1-2 C of lobster coins. Garnish with pomegranate seeds and fennel fronds.
Citrus Dressing:
I couldn’t find a way to divide this so I am just saving as a salad dressing for the future
1 orange, juice only
½ lemon, juice only
¾ C EVOO
3 T white balsamic vinegar
1T Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper to taste
In a large bowl, whisk all ingredients.
Jim served a Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc, 2007. Several wine people think this is overpriced and others are just as good. I have to say that they are wrong!
Jim like the meal which is a lot to say for a salad hater.  I would have liked it better with fresh cooked lobster. 

No comments:

Post a Comment