Tuesday, July 6, 2010

July 4th before and after

I had planned tonight to write about our wonderful weekend in PA for the 4th and I still will.
We left on Friday and drove to PA. The drive was slow, but we finally arrived and were treated to a wonderful lunch of salad with Jicama and chicken among other treats by Jane. Bryce served 3, yes 3 rose wines. Jane said she got the recipe from Cooking Light. I honestly can’t remember the rest of the afternoon. Dinner was whole lobsters (what a treat!) and the best Cole slaw which Jane said is sold in the fish department of Giant. Many bottles of wine later, we all went to downtown fireworks in their friend’s yard on the river. The temperature was delightful and I got to once again sleep with a cat at the foot of the bed.
The next morning we were a little slow, but were able to get our acts together to get to Jakes in NJ by noon for a visit with Jim’s cousin Susan and Jim. We then went wine shopping and came home to prepare for a picnic and fireworks. The fireworks are in Tinicum Park in Erwinna, PA and they include music all evening by the Riverside Symphonia. Jane made a fabulous picnic of chicken salad, carrot salad and Chinese green salad. Others brought fabulous appetizers. For dessert we had the best chocolate cookies I have ever tasted and a wonderful blueberry cake. Jane had also fixed a delicious peach cake for our lunch on Friday. For Sunday breakfast, I had both cakes instead of the usual breakfast. Life is short, eat dessert first. Bryce did a spectacular job of our set up at the park. We had a long table with linen table cloths and plastic dishes and wine glasses that looked like china and crystal. We even had flowers on the table. This is my kind of picnic. We had a lovely evening. The weather was again delightful when the sun went over the hill. I am going to post our photo.
On the 4th we went to our friends Carole and Dick. We had a fabulous meal and I will have to post later as Carole and Dick are great cooks and I am sure you will want the recipes. Time is short tonight as I will explain at the end.
We drove home Monday and picked up Max the wonder dog at the end of the day. I had nothing planned but had shrimp in the freezer. I used a Creole dry rub and we grilled the shrimp. We dipped them in Wegman’s chipotle lime butter. They were delicious. I made a impromptu salad of iceberg lettuce, drained and rinsed black beans, chopped zucchini, celery and cilantro. I used Vidalia onion dressing. Pretty good.
Tonight we had Bon Appétit, June, Halibut Fish sticks with dill-caper tartar sauce and Israeli couscous with Asparagus, peas, and sugar snaps. I will have to ask you to go on line to look them up as I am running out of time.  They were very good.  Best fish sticks I have ever tasted. 
You may not hear from me for a while. This has been one of those days. My mother fell and broke her hip. She is almost 90 and has severe dementia. She will be operated on tomorrow AM. We are not sure how well she will recover. My wonderful Aunt Maureen fell ill and had emergency surgery yesterday and it did not go well. I am flying to IN to maybe say goodbye to both.  All has been unfolding all day. My brother just called from the hospital. Said did not look good.

No comments:

Post a Comment