Saturday, February 6, 2010

Record Snow in the DC area

So what do you do when you have 27” of snow out your door and expect to receive another 9” before it ends, you cook. Jim used the snow blower before we went to bed last night and has been out most of the morning doing our driveway and two neighbors. While he was out I made him oatmeal and blueberry muffins. The muffins are from Fine Cooking and are called good-for-you blueberry muffins from Ellie Krieger. They are indescribably delicious, no saturated fat and low in sugar. I didn’t have any applesauce, but cut up 2 apples and cooked them in apple cider. When soft, it all went into the blender and I had the required cup of applesauce.


It yields 12 muffins. I actually got 12 full size muffins and 12 more mini muffins

Non-stick cooking spray

1C all-purpose flour

1C whole-wheat flour

2 t baking powder

½ t table salt

¼ t baking soda

2 large eggs

¾ C granulated sugar

¼ C canola oil

1 C natural unsweetened applesauce

1 ½ t finely grated lemon zest

1 t pure vanilla extract

¾ C low-fat buttermilk (I have powdered buttermilk on hand all the time)

1 ½ C fresh blueberries

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees with the rack in the center. In a small bowl mix both flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

In a large bowl mix the eggs, sugar and oil until pale and frothy. Whisk in the applesauce, lemon zest and vanilla. I added the blueberries to the flour before I added the flour and buttermilk to the egg mixture. I read somewhere that if you do this it keeps your blueberries from ending up all on the bottom and indeed mine are throughout the muffin. Bake for 20-30 minutes. Mine were done in 22 minutes. Cool on a rack and enjoy. Also you can wrap them individually and freeze.

I started the dishwasher and our power keeps going on and off. I just realized that each time the power goes off the dishwasher starts all over again. These are going to be the cleanest dishes in town. Tonight’s party was postponed until spring. That is about how long it will take for us to dig out. So I now have to decide what I want to fix for dinner. I have ingredients for several options.

No comments:

Post a Comment