Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Deviled Eggs

I do have a recipe for you today, but it is one from the past. It is actually a request from a follower who tasted it here. I thought I had lost it, but with a big search, today I found it. Yesterday after working all morning to put multiple photos of the Valentine’s Day dinner into the blog, I found out you can only post one each post. The afternoon was spent at the dentist and quite frankly, sucking juice (as in fermented grape) through a straw was about all I was up to. As it is the Chinese New Year celebration, we had pot stickers and left over appetizer. I have made pot stickers before, but these came from Wegman’s. Jim thought their sauce was too vinegary. Tonight we are having leftover Cassoulet. I am looking forward to it. Jim finished off all the French bread last night so I made a couple loaves this AM to serve with the dish and I will make a salad. Simple dinner, but I have supper plans for after this little hiatus. By the way, my French baguettes are very easy. Put flour, water, and salt in the bread machine. Add the yeast in the top. Turn on to dough setting. Take it out and put in a greased bowl covered with plastic wrap for 30 minutes. Divide the dough in two, shape each ball into a flat rectangle and roll up in a long tube. I place these in a French loaf molding pan and let rise. Before baking I put a couple long cuts in it and baste with egg white. You can sprinkle anything on top. I am going to do one with sesame seeds and the other with Hawaiian salt.


Following is a recipe that I made to serve with soup for a lunch with friends before a DC adventure back in December. It is from the Rachael Ray Show.

Smoked Salmon-Stuffed Eggs

12 eggs

5 thin slices smoked salmon, I think I bought a 2 or 4 oz. package and just put it all in.

3T finely grated onion

¼ C plus 2T mayo. I currently have mayo made with olive oil. I’m not too excited about it.

2 T finely chopped dill

A few dashes Worcestershire sauce

A few dashes hot sauce

Salt and pepper

Yield is 24 halves

This gives perfect eggs every time, no matter the quantity. Place the eggs in a pan and cover with water. Place over high heat and bring to a boil. Remove the pot from the heat and cover with the lid. Sit for 10 minutes. Dump the hot water and run under cold water to cool and peel. The shell never sticks and you do not have the green around the yoke.

Take the yokes and mash up with all the other ingredients. Put the mixture in a plastic bag and cut off the tip to fill the white halves.

I didn’t do it, but you can decorate with salmon roe if you’d like.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting the Salmon devilled egg recipe!

    Also the Cassoulet dinner sounded spectacular. Ten people for dinner! Four appetizers! Jim and I could probably go on about "you should serve this wine or that wine" for hours with a meal like that. I've always thought it's a Chateauneuf du Pape type of dish.

    Cassoluet is one of those "plenty of leftovers" types of meals.

    ReplyDelete