Friday, February 26, 2010

Japanese-style noodle soup

February’s Bon Appétit has an Udon with Mushroom Broth, Cabbage and Yams recipe that is a Japanese-style noodle soup. I am starting the process today by making the Light Vegetable Broth. I am using all organic vegetables so the carrots and parsnips, I just washed and did not peel. The ingredients are simmering now and smell heavenly.


3 ½ qts. Water

2 whole large leeks, halved lengthwise and sliced (Wash in a colander after chopping before adding to the water)

1# carrots sliced

2 medium potatoes scrubbed and cut in cubes

2 large unpeeled onions cut in l” cubes

3 large celery stalks, sliced

2 large parsnips, sliced

1 C fennel stalks and fronds. (Reserve the bulb for another use)I added all the fronds as they smelled wonderful.

1C coarsely chopped parsley

6 garlic cloves, peeled

1 bay leaf

1t dried thyme

1 t. sea salt

1t. whole black peppercorns

Mint (optional) I did not have any so I added a portion of a left over yellow hot pepper

Basically put it all in a pot and bring to a boil. Simmer for 45 minutes or until the vegetables are very soft and the broth is pale golden. Stain roughly in a colander and then again through a fine-mesh strainer. Discard the vegetables.

Tomorrow I will make the mushroom broth before we go to the Baltimore Craft Show.

No comments:

Post a Comment