Thursday, February 25, 2010

Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas from Cooking Light May 2009. I think it is from a reader from TX who wanted to lighten up a favorite recipe of theirs. I served it with a salad and vinaigrette dressing. Unfortunately I put too much salt in the dressing for me. No one else objected, but I seem to be very salt sensitive. It says that each serving is 454 calories per serving. Mine might be a little different. I only had 4 8” tortillas but I had 8 6” ones. The last ½ cup of cheddar cheese was real, not reduced fat. I had a very good one called Beemster from Holland. Notice there is no salt in the recipe as they used canned soup. I stopped taking Cooking Light as they tend to use a lot of what I call plastic food. There is a saying that you should not put anything in your body that your Grandmother would not recognize as food. For my nephew, I would extend this to his great-grandmother as my Mother actually embraced TV dinners. Also because I used smaller tortillas, I used a 7.5” x 13” pan. I have very unusual sizes of Pyrex pans that I got from my Mother’s house when I cleaned it out. I would advise you to just make sure you have the 8” tortillas if you make it. My neighbor is coming for dinner. We went to the movie this afternoon. I made this in the AM through the first cooking before we left.


2 ½ C chopped cooked chicken breast (I defrosted and used 1# uncooked. I did not measure it in cups)

8oz. preshredded reduced-fat-4 cheese Mexican blend cheese; I have always wondered what this blend of cheese was for.

1 2/3 C plain low-fat yogurt I used Greek non-fat as it tastes better. I’ll save you some measuring; it is most of a 16 oz container of yogurt. I would have just added it all but Max has yogurt on his food every evening, so I saved some for him.

1/3 C melted butter

¼ C chopped onion

1t minced garlic

¼ t black pepper

1 10 ¾ oz can condensed reduced-fat, reduced sodium cream of chicken soup. Don’t you wonder what it is made of? I was afraid to read the can.

1 4.5 oz. can chopped green chilies, drained

8 (8”) flour tortillas

Spray oil

½ C finely shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese

¼ C chopped green onions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees

Combine the first 9 ingredients. Remove 1C chicken mixture and set aside.

I heated a grill pan and cooked the tortillas one at a time putting nice grille marks on them.

Spray your pan. I put the mixture in the tortillas. I did not measure ½ C per the recipe, just divided equally, and folded and put in the pan. You then spread the reserved chicken mixture on the top. I then covered it and placed in the refrigerator until we were ready to eat. I also precut the green onions and shredded the cheese getting it ready to go.

Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Let the mixture warm to room temperature before you start baking it. After 20 minutes, uncover and sprinkle with the cheddar cheese and green onions. Bake an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese melts. I actually thought it was too creamy, oozy, gooey. I have made enchiladas’ there were more meat with green sauce and some cheese that I liked better. But I have to remember this was a reduced calorie version of a family favorite. The magazine recommended a Chardonnay and Jim served a Fox Run Vineyards from the Finger Lakes. It was very good.

1 comment:

  1. I spent this AM looking for a Chicken Enchiladas dish that seems to be more like the kind I usually get in a Mexican Restaurant. I am going to make it again next week. I will again have Elaine over for a taste test and see if she agrees with me that the Cooking Light one is the looser.

    ReplyDelete