Saturday, February 20, 2010

Lucky me, going out to dinner tonight, but I still had things to do. I made up next week’s meals and shopping list. I am making chicken broth today. I keep a baggie in my freezer for all chicken bones unwanted for that night’s dish. When it reaches 3# I put it in a pot with carrots, onion, celery and cover with water. Cook for 4 to six hours. Drain through a colander after it has cooled. Cool further to remove the fat. Put in 1qt. containers and freeze until needed. It’s almost free.


Cinco de Mayo Bread

Homemade bread seems to just disappear in this house. I have a book called Electric Bread. If you have a bread machine, you definitely need to get more bread recipes. This one that I made yesterday morning for sandwiches was another great hit. The one thing nice about Electric Bread is it is written for both the older machines like mine that just make the one pound loaves and the later ones that make a larger loaf

2/3 C water

2C White Bread Flour

2t sugar

½ t salt

2t olive oil

2/3 C Corn meal

1/3C creamed corn (I used frozen corn and added a little cream into the 1/3 cup)

2T green chilies

1 t Jalapeno Peppers (I did not have canned green chilies so I just chopped up 1T jalapeño peppers)

1t dried Cilantro

1 ½ t. fast rise Yeast

Measure all into the pan of your machine and let it rip. Had a great tasting bread by lunchtime.

1 comment:

  1. Look at my followers. My favorite restaurant in Hobart, IN is following my site. Thanks. See you next time I am in Hobart.

    ReplyDelete