Monday, February 15, 2010

Julia's Cassoulet

A toast to Julia
The table all set and we are almost ready to start the party. Jim has his wine bar set up and ready to go. I am very excited and pacing the floor. Finally everyone is here, we enjoyed appetizers and then we sat down to dinner.  I am so nervous. I have worked very hard and am hoping my efforts are worth it.
The salad course was delicious. However, I had to use my blow torch on the cheese. Under the broiler the bread was getting too brown and the cheese was not yet bubbling.
Next came what we had all gathered to taste, Cassoulet de Porc et de Mouton. Everyone thought it was delicious, but none present would take three days to make it. I thought it was worth every bit of time and energy it took. This is truly the most delicious dish I have ever made. The highlight of the evening was the chocolate cups; it was so easy it is almost criminal. We forgot to take a photo.
Jim served the following wines: 2008 Old Moon Zinfandel with the appetizers and a 2008 Thorn Clarke Shotfire Barossa Shiraz with the Cassoulet and the dessert. We decanted both wines to smooth out the tannins in these young red wines.
I’d like to thank our guests for coming and for their long and enduring friendship. No one enjoyed the evening more than me. I love serving good food to my friends. I love it more when they enjoy eating it.

No comments:

Post a Comment