Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Celery Soup with Apples and Blue Cheese (Sunset Magazine, Feb. 2010)


Serves: 4

This soup was excellent and very filling. Jim needed some meat so we had Nathan’s hot dogs with it.

1 ½ # celery, stalks separated and cut in 1” chunks

½ small onion, chopped

1 qt. Chicken or Vegetable broth (I used the broth that I made Saturday)

2T butter

1 Granny Smith Apple, peeled and finely chopped

½ C half and half

¼ t salt and pepper. (I used about 1t each)

¼ C chopped flat leaf parsley

¼ C crumbled blue cheese.

Put the celery, onion and broth in a pan on the stove with a cover. The recipe said cook for 25 min. My celery needed about 45 minutes. I used an immersion blender to then purée. In a small skillet cook the butter and apple to caramelize the apple. This for me took about 15 minutes.

After puréeing the soups add the half and half.

Ladle the soup in the bowl and top with the parsley, apple and cheese.

I really liked this soup and Jim did not complain.

No comments:

Post a Comment