Thursday, September 27, 2012

Quiche Au Fromage


We had a very busy day yesterday.  We did not get back home until after 6:30.  I had luckily planned this quiche from Julia Child’s The French Chef Cookbook that was written in conjunction with her show.  Wednesday morning in the paper was a recipe for quiche with asparagus; unbelievably complicated.  I had asparagus and just added it on top of the cheese layer before I poured in the filling.  Here is another part that would probably make Julia roll over in her grave, except she was never buried.  (Ashes scattered, per her wishes) I used a combination of left over cheeses from entertaining. 
Ingredients:
1 C grated Swiss cheese (I used left over Saga Blue, goat, and St. Andre for the ¾ C and used grated hard cheese (mystery cheese) for the ¼ C toping.)
An 8” partially cooked pastry shell placed on a buttered baking sheet.  (I used pre-made Pillsbury pie crust and put it in a 9” tart pan with a removable bottom.  I sprayed the tart shell before lining the pan, but did not prebake it.)
1 ¼ to 1 ½ C milk
3 eggs
½ t salt
Pinch of pepper and nutmeg
1-2 T butter
Directions: 
1.      Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2.      Spread ¾ if the cheese in the bottom of the shell. 
3.      Beat milk, eggs and seasonings in a bowl to blend. 
4.      Just before baking, pour in the liquid to fill the shell to just within 1/8” of the top.
5.      Sprinkle on the remaining cheese and the butter, cut into dots.
6.      Bake for 30 minutes.
The mixture of cheeses in this pan was delightful, especially the goat cheese in amongst the triple cream cheeses.  On top of the bottom layer of cheese I put asparagus in a pinwheel.  I used the ends that were too long, chopped them and sprinkled in-between the pinwheel of stalks.
I also made Jim brownies from a mix.  To the mix I added walnuts and chocolate chunks that were raspberry, orange and kaluha flavored.  Jim thought they were delicious and had two plus ice cream.      

No comments:

Post a Comment