Monday, September 10, 2012

Cuban Steak and Beans


Sitting in the doctor’s office reading Good Housekeeping, I came across this recipe.  Because I finally got my pot rack up and the dining room fixture, I made beef and blueberry pie for Jim.  This recipe says serves 4.  I had to buy a bigger steak than called for and Jim ate it all.  You would think that a person with very high cholesterol would not be so bacon, eggs and steak oriented.  Although reading the book Dearie, The amazing life of Julia Child, I realized that people will do what they want, no matter the doctor’s orders.   Her doctors told her to cut off butter and her answer was, “silly boys.” About a week before she died she was out to dinner and her companion the person realized that she had stopped her medication as she was raving about the food.  Her medications had inhibited her ability to taste.  Her keeper warned the whole restaurant community that she was not supposed to drink.  She ordered wine.  She was in her 90’s and said that if I cannot live the life I enjoy, I do not want to live.  I will not reveal the ending.  So as I watched Jim eat steak and felt like a murderer.
Ingredients: 
1orange
4 limes
4 cloves of garlic, crushed with a press
1 T ground cumin
1 12-0z. Beef top sirloin steak, ½” thick    
1 large red pepper
1 15-oz. can black beans
2 C corn kernels, if frozen thawed
Directions:
1.      In a small bowl, finely grate 1 t orange peel.  Squeeze ½ orange and 2 limes into the bowl.  Stir in the garlic, cumin and 1/8 t salt and pepper. 
2.      Place the steak in a resealable bag.  Add half of the citrus mixture.  Seal bag; turn to coat and let stand. 
3.      Chop the pepper, drain and rinse beans, and cut the remaining limes in half for serving.
4.      Heat 12” heavy skillet on high.  Coat steak lightly with nonstick cooking spray; add to pan.  Cook 2 minutes per side for medium-rare or until desired doneness.  Transfer to a cutting board. 
5.      To skillet, add red pepper and corn.  Cook 3 minutes or until tender, stirring. 
6.      Add beans, remaining citrus mixture, ¼ C water and 1/8 t each of salt and pepper.  Cook 3-4 minutes or until mostly dry, stirring. 
7.      Slice steak and serve with the bean mixture and limes. 
I finely cut up Napa cabbage and used Penzeys buttermilk ranch dressing on it.  Jim served a Greg Norman Estates Cabernet Merlot, 1998.  It got better in the glass.  As old as it was, it needed to breathe. 
Dessert was the Joy of Cooking. Berry Pie with Fresh Fruit.  It is the only way I will make Blueberry pie.  I have probably blogged it at least 3 times as it if Jim’s favorite and I make it often.    

No comments:

Post a Comment