Saturday, September 8, 2012

Chickpea Soup with Crispy Kale


Today we played golf and then went shopping for some furniture items I had seen while wondering the Nashville area.  I came home dead tired and ready for someone else to cook.  The problem is I am the only one that cooks here.  I made the following soup dinner.  It is a very good soup and so easy.  It was the perfect answer.  Jim was not pleased to have an all vegetarian meal after his long day, so I also served him cheese and crackers.  This recipe is from Fine Cooking, April/May 2012.
Ingredients:  
1 small bunch kale (61/2 oz.) ribs removed, leaves torn into 1/2 “ pieces (about 6 cups), rinsed and well dried.  I removed the ribs and then chopped the leaves.  I rinsed and laid them out on dish towels. I laid another towel on top and pressed on the leaves.  I did this first so they were pretty dry by the time I was ready for them.  You could do this ahead of time and the kale would be fine.)
3 T EVOO, divided
Fine sea salt (I had Himalayan sea salt)
1 small yellow onion, finely diced
1 medium carrot, finely diced
I medium celery stalk, finely diced
2  15oz. cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1  14 ½-oz. can diced tomatoes
3 rosemary sprigs (about 4” long)
1 bay leaf
4 cups mild vegetable broth (mine was homemade)
Freshly ground black pepper
Directions:
1.      Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 425 degrees.
2.      In a large bowl, toss the kale with 1 ½ T of the EVOO and a generous pinch of sea salt. 
3.      Spread the kale on a large rimmed baking sheet and bake until crisp but still green, 10-12 minutes.
4.      Cool on a rack.
5.      Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 ½ T EVOO in a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat. 
6.      Add the onion, celery, carrot and a pinch of salt and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. 
7.      Add the chickpeas and tomatoes with their juice, stir to combine and cook for 1 minute.
8.      Tie the rosemary and bay leaf in a cheesecloth pouch with string.  Add the herb pouch to the pot.
9.      Pour in the vegetable broth and add 1 t salt to the pot. 
10.  Partially cover and simmer gently until flavorful, about 20 minutes, adjusting the heat as needed. 
11.  Discard the herb pouch. 
12.  Puree the soup with a hand blender or in batches in a regular blender. 
13.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.
14.  Divide the soup between 4 bowls and top each with the kale. 
As I was making this recipe I was reminded that Julia Child hated recipes that said add and medium or a large or even a pinch.  She wanted specifics and no fail recipes.  I just finished reading Dearie: The Remarkable Life of Julia Child.  This is a must read for anyone that likes to eat. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment