Monday, September 3, 2012

Belle of Georgia Open-Faced Pie


Today is an easy day.  Jim went to play in a Labor Day Golf outing in the rain and I spent the morning reading the new Julia Child book.  It is a fabulous book.  Later we will be going to Jim’s cousin’s house for a cook out.  Only the cook will be outside I am certain of that.  I am bringing a peach pie that I found in Martha Stewart’s Pies and Tarts Cookbook.  It is in the oven now as I am writing this up.  It starts by saying it makes a 10” pie.  I made mine in a 9” tart pan.  I used a Pillsbury ready pie crust. 
Ingredients:  
24 ripe Belle of Georgia peaches, unpeeled, pitted and sliced (Not sure what size peaches these are, but mine are from Georgia and 6 was pushing it to the limit.  Possibly if you used a 10” deep dish pie pan, you could use 24 peaches.)
¼ C sifted all-purpose flour
½ -3/4 C granulated sugar (I used ½; I think most here in the south would have used ¾.)
2 T cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
Juice of ¼ lemon
Garnish:  Whipped Cream (optional) (Not in my book, I get to use my ISI mini whipped cream maker)
Directions:
1.      Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. 
2.      Fill the pastry with the sliced peaches.  Just fill it so it looks piled high.  (Learned not too high as the flour sugar mixture did not cook on the ones not down in the crust.  I had to move some to the peaches and put it back in the over for an additional 10 minutes.   
3.      Combine the flour and sugar, and sprinkle evenly over the peaches.  (I think a better method that is in the Joy of cooking is to combine and mix the flour sugar and fruit in a bowl and then add it all at once to the pie crust.)
4.      Dot with butter and sprinkle on the lemon juice.
5.      Bake for approximately 50 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown, the peaches are tender, and juice from the peaches is bubbling.  (Just in case they are too bubbly, I put a baking sheet under the tart.)
6.      Let cool and serve with whipped cream. 
The pie was good, plenty sweet for me.  I think that I would also butter the bottom of the tart pan before putting in the pastry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment