Friday, September 14, 2012

Company Dinner , Phase 1


If you have been looking for a new post, you probably think I have just been goofing off or eating bon bons.  Well, in truth, I have, but it is all justified.  Yesterday, Thursday was my birthday.  On Wednesday, Jim’s cousin took me out for my birthday.  We had errands to run in Lebanon, so we went to Mo Cara.  We think it is the best restaurant in Lebanon, but they were a little off that night.  Jim’s cousin did not like her meal at all.  Pam and I had the same thing.  I liked it and she thought it was too hot.   No one else complained.  The next day, my birthday, I played golf with the 9 hole group and Jim played with his friends.  The club gave me a beautifully presented cheese cake dripping with raspberry sauce with Happy Birthday written in chocolate on the plate.  The ladies sang Happy Birthday, lots of fun.  That night Jim and I went to The Yellow Porch for dinner.  It is restaurant week in Nashville and they are participating.  For $20, you get an appetizer or dessert and an entrée.  I ordered an appetizer and Jim ordered dessert and we split them.  I had a delicious smoked pork chop. 
Today I started on tomorrow night’s dinner.  We are having our first local guests.  They are from Lebanon, but do not mind driving into Nashville.  Here is the menu for tomorrow.  Some things have to be made ahead and that is what I have been doing all day, including the grocery shopping.
Rosemary Cashews and a variety of cheese and Crackers
 (To be served in the wine room)
Barefoot in Paris Cookbook
Jasmine Watermelon Gazpacho with Crab
Culinary Tea Cookbook
Boeuf Bourguignon
Barefoot in Paris Cookbook
Tomatoes Roasted with Pesto
Barefoot Contessa, How easy is that?
Chocolate Pudding Cream Tart
Barefoot Contessa, How easy is that?
I started with dessert.  Three of the menu items have to be started the day before.  You can also do the Boeuf ahead, but I will do it early tomorrow.  All these recipes say they serve 8.  There will only be 4 for dinner, but one is Jim.  Hopefully after 2 days of cooking, we have leftovers.     
Ingredients for the crust:
2 C graham cracker crumbs (14 graham crackers equal 2 C finely ground)
1/3 C sugar
¼ # (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
Ingredients for the filling:
4 C whole milk
¾ C sugar
5 extra-large egg yolks
1/3 C cornstarch
1 t kosher salt
7 oz bittersweet chocolate, broken
2 T unsalted butter, diced
1 T Kahlua liqueur
1 t instant coffee powder
Sweetened whipped cream
Shaved bittersweet chocolate, for garnish
Directions for the crust:
1.      Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2.      Finely ground the graham crackers in the processor.  Add the sugar and pulse to combine. 
3.      In a glass bowl, melt the butter in the microwave. 
4.      Turn the graham mixture into the butter and combine well.
5.      Turn into an 11” metal tart pan with removable sides.  Press the mixture on the bottom and sides of the pan. 
6.      Bake for 10 minutes and set aside to cool. 
Directions for the pudding:
1.      Heat the milk in a saucepan until almost simmering. 
2.      In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the sugar, egg yolks, cornstarch, and salt and, with the mixer on low speed, slowly pour the milk into the bowl. (I put the milk in a large measuring cup as suggested to reduce spills.  It still spilled.  You just have to pour fast.)
3.      Put it all back in a large saucepan and cook over medium-low heat for 5-10 minutes, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the mixture is very thick.  I did the full 10 minutes, but it was thick at about 7 minutes. 
4.      Off the heat, add the chocolate, butter, Kahlua, and coffee. 
5.      Beat with a whisk until smooth and pour into the cooled crust. 
6.      Place plastic wrap directly on the chocolate filling and chill the tart for 6 hours, until cold. 
7.      Tomorrow I will decorate with whipped cream and I am going to dust with cocoa, as I never have luck with chocolate curls.    
While the crust was baking, I spread the cashews on the pan to go in the oven as soon as I took the crust out.
Rosemary Cashews
Ingredients:
1 # unsalted cashews (I bought raw as I could not find unsalted that were roasted)
2 T minced fresh rosemary leaves
½ t cayenne pepper
2 t light brown sugar
1 T kosher salt
1 T unsalted butter, melted
Directions:
1.      Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2.      Spread the cashews out on a sheet pan.  Toast in the oven until warm, about 5 minutes.  As mine were not roasted, I left them in for 20 minutes. 
3.      Meanwhile, mince the rosemary in a spice grinder and combine with all the remaining ingredients in a large bowl. 
4.      Thoroughly toss the warm cashews with the spiced butter and I put them in an air tight container after they cooled.
5.      Tomorrow I will warm in the microwave prior to serving. 
Finally I made the soup course which also must be started the day before.  This recipe is created by Chef Robert Bean for Todd English’s Bonfire Steakhouse in Boston. 
Ingredients:
2 T loose-leaf jasmine tea leaves
3 C seaming water
1 small watermelon peeled, seeded, and chopped, about 4-5 C
1 red onion, coarsely chopped
1 garlic clove
1-2 jalapenos, deveined and seeded quartered
¼ C chopped fresh mint leaves
¼ C chopped fresh cilantro leaves
¼ C chopped fresh basil leaves
½ C lump crab meat
4 t EVOO
Directions:
1.      Put the tea leaves in a medium bowl; pour the steaming water over the tea leaves and steep, covered for 2 minutes.  Strain the tea, discarding the leaves.
2.      In a blender or food processor, combine the watermelon, onion, garlic, jalapeno, mint, cilantro, and basil.  Blend on high until thoroughly pureed. 
3.      Transfer to an airtight container or in my case a large bowl and stir in the tea.  I covered the bowl with plastic wrap. 
4.      Refrigerate at least 6 hours or overnight, to allow the flavors to meld.
5.      To serve, divide the chilled soup among 8 bowls.  Top each bowl with 1 T crabmeat and drizzle with ½ t EVOO.
That is it for today.  I will blog the remaining recipe and tell you how it all tastes on Sunday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment