Friday, September 21, 2012

Another company dinner Part 1


Tonight we are having fresh tuna on the grille, asparagus, and boiled potatoes as the government has said to cut back on rice as it has high levels of arsenic in it.  One the women I play golf with said that only pepper and watercress has escaped a warning as bad for you.  But one cannot live by watercress alone.  To add a special touch I am starting with a shrimp cocktail.  I am using the leftover sauce from the clambake a few recipes back.  See photo.  I have wanted to do this forever.   
I have been cooking as we are having company tomorrow night and I am precooking.  Yesterday I made the soup.  It is called Mushroom Consommé Topped Puff Pastry.  This recipe comes from Gourmet Today a collection of recipes edited by Ruth Reichl as she was ruining Gourmet Magazine.  She said it is inspired by Paul Bocuse’s famous truffle soup with the billowy dome, which I have had in his restaurant.  I am not doing the billowy dome part.  Too much stress with company.  Instead I am taking puff pastry and cutting out fall shapes and baking them.  I will add them on top the consommé just before I serve. 
Ingredients:
2# white mushrooms, finely chopped, preferably in a food processor
2 medium onion, chopped
8 C cold water
Salt
¼ t freshly ground black pepper
2 T 1” pieces fresh chives
For Morels:
1 ½ C boiling water
¾ oz. dried morels
¾ C dry Madeira
Directions:
1.      Combine mushrooms, onions, water and 1 t salt in a 6 qt. stockpot, bring to a simmer, and simmer, uncovered for 1 ½ hours. 
2.      Meanwhile prepare the morels
3.      Pour boiling water over the morels in a small bowl and soak until softened, about 20 minutes. 
4.      With a slotted spoon, transfer morels to a medium mesh sieve set over a bowl.  Press on them with the back of spoon to remove excess liquid, and then add the liquid from morels to soaking liquid and reserve. 
5.      Rinse morels to remove any grit, transfer to a small saucepan and add Madeira.  Bring to a simmer and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes.   
6.      Stain mushroom consommé through a large sieve lined with a damp paper towel into a large saucepan, pressing gently on solids to extract as much liquid as possible; discard solids. 
7.      There should be about 4 cups consommé (if there is less, add water; if there is too much, boil until reduced to 4 cups).
8.      Season consommé with salt and pepper.  I thought it was fine and did not add any more salt. 
9.      Add morels and Madeira to consommé.  Let reserved soaking liquid settle, than slowly pour into consommé, leaving last tablespoon (containing sediment) in bowl. 
10.  Add chives to consommé and simmer, covered for 3 minutes.  Refrigerate, uncovered, until cold, about 1 hour. 
Mine is waiting for me to warm for dinner.  Like I said in the beginning tomorrow I will cut shapes out of a puff pastry sheet, brush with egg and bake.  If we have left over soup, I will try the billowy dome and report on the success or failure. 
For dessert, I wanted to serve Hagan Daz chocolate sorbet with Meringue Swirl Cookies from Martha Stewart’s Living Magazine.  We couldn’t find the sorbet anywhere, so we settled for chocolate ice cream.  I should have made the ice cream as I am sure I will be disappointed.  These cookies were in Living’s May issue.  We were still in the rental house and that kitchen was not cooking conducive.  So I saved for now.
Ingredients: 
3 large egg whites, room temperature
¾ C sugar
½ vanilla bean, seeds scraped
Large pinch of salt
Large pinch of cream of tarter
1 t finely grated fresh orange zest
Gel-paste food coloring in orange
Directions:
1.      Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
2.      Combine egg whites and sugar in a heat-proof bowl.  Add vanilla bean seeds. 
3.      Set bowl over a pot of simmering water, and stir until sugar dissolves and mixture is warm, about 3 minutes.  (Mine was ready in a minute and a half.  Be careful with this step as you could have cooked sweet egg whites.)
4.      Add salt and cream of tartar.
5.      Beat with a mixer on medium-high speed until stiff, glossy peaks form and meringue is mostly cooled, about 7 minutes. 
6.      Beat in the zest.
7.      My gel was in a tube so I made 3 vertical stripes of gel inside a pastry bag fitted with a ½” round tip.  Fill the bag with meringue, and pipe 1 ¾” circular shapes 2” apart on two parchment lined baking sheet.  I used a toss away pastry bag and as it was too small I had to fill it many times.  You can use a sealable storage bag.  I think this would be better, but as I have a zillion of these bags, I want to use them up.  This is a sticky, icky process and I had to keep restriping the bag. 
8.      Bake in the oven until crisp on the outside but still soft inside, about 1 hr and 15 minutes.  Let cool completely on a wire rack.  
Jim tasted them and pronounced them delicious.  They are really sticky.   They come loose from the parchment, but stick to your fingers.  I have them sitting on the tray, covered with more parchment. 
Stay tuned for the rest of dinner, which I will finish tomorrow and probably blog on Monday. 

   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment