Monday, September 10, 2012

Chipotle Shrimp with Gulf Coast-Style White Rice Pilaf


This meal was amazingly good.  It comes from the Rick Bayless , Mexican Every Day.  On a trip to Chicago I ate at Topolampo his restaurant.  At that dinner I decided that he is the most creative chef in the US.  I bought this cookbook in TX while attending my nephew’s wedding.  I don’t do a lot of Mexican cooking, and after this meal, I am not sure why.  This meal serves 4.  We have a small lunch portion left over.  
Ingredients: 
1 15-oz can of diced tomatoes in juice (preferably fire-roasted) drained
2-3 canned chipotle chiles en adobo
1 T chipotle canning sauce
2 T EVOO
3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped or crushed through a garlic press
About 1 ½ C chicken broth
Salt
1-1 ¼# medium-large shrimp peeled and deveined, tail left on if you wish
About ¼ C roughly chopped cilantro, for garnish (I used Italian parsley as I had used all my cilantro in the sauce the day before)
Zucchini (As much as you like, if you want to make this a one skillet meal.  I used 2 medium zucchini)
Directions:
1.       Pour the drained tomatoes into a blender or food processor.  Add the chipotle chiles and chipotle canning sauce.  Process until smooth.
2.       If using the zucchini, heat the oil in a 12” skillet and sauté them first.  Then add the garlic and stir until fragrant and golden, about 1 minute. 
3.       Pour in the tomato mixture.  Cook stirring frequently for 5 minutes to allow the flavor to meld. 
4.       Add enough broth to achieve a light tomato sauce consistency.  (I used the whole amount.) 
5.       Taste and season highly with salt, usually 1 t.  (I did not add salt as I was using up bouillon cubes and they are salty.)
6.       Add the shrimp to the pan.  Cook, stirring nearly constantly, until the shrimp are cooked through, about 4 minutes.  Do not overcook the shrimp or they will be rubbery. 
7.       Sprinkle with cilantro and serve. 
To accompany the shrimp I made this interesting rice dish also in the cookbook.  He also recommends warm corn tortillas with this dish.
Ingredients:
1 ½ T EVOO
1 ½ C white rice
1 small white onion, chopped into ¼” pieces (Does he really measure the size of the dice?  To me, if you are going to request ¼” dice, you should also indicate the onion size by weight.)
2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped or crushed through a garlic press
1 ¾ C chicken broth
Salt
3 T coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
Directions:
1.       Turn on the oven to 350 degrees and position a rack in the middle. 
2.       Set a medium (3 qt.) ovenproof saucepan over medium heat.
3.       Add the oil, rice and onion.  Stir frequently until the grains turn from translucent to milky-white, about 5 minutes, do not let the rice brown.
4.       Add the garlic and stir for a few minutes. 
5.       Add the chicken broth and 1 t salt.  Stir and bring to a boil. 
6.       Cover the pan and place in the oven for 25 minutes.  Remove and let stand for 5 minutes before serving. 
Obviously if you are using the rice, start it first.  I really enjoyed this meal.  I did not think it was that hot, but Jim had tears running down his face and had to leave the table frequently to blow his nose. 
Good news, the pot rack is up in the kitchen and I believe we may get the dining room fixture installed.  I am not sure how it happened, but I am two double hooks short for hanging pots, so I ordered them today.  I was a little worried about the pot rack.  I have drastically changed this kitchen from the very plain one that I loved.  But it looks good.  We also picked up the wonderful find of an outdoor sofa I found at a salvage company.  We are almost moved in.     

No comments:

Post a Comment