Friday, September 3, 2010

Surf and Garden Quesadillas with Avocado Salad

Good meal tonight. It comes from the September Sunset magazine. Sunset also owns Cooking Light. I noticed about 2 years ago that the recipes I enjoyed the most in Cooking Light were also in Sunset. Plus I did not have to wade through 135 pages of stuff I was not interested in to get to the first recipe.
Quesadillas
¾ # peeled, deveined shrimp. tails removed
3 garlic cloves
½ t each, course sea salt, ground cumin, and paprika
¼ t each pepper and cayenne
1 T each, OJ and EVOO
1 ½ C 5 oz shredded sharp cheddar or jack cheese. I mixed both
4 large, 9-10” flour tortillas, I used whole wheat
3/4 # zucchini, coarsely shredded
¾ C fresh corn kernels, I thawed frozen
2 green onions, thinly sliced
Salad
2 firm ripe avocados, sliced
2 large heirloom tomatoes cut into wedges
¼ C thinly sliced yellow onion
2 T chopped cilantro (I skipped as I do not like it)
1 T EVOO
3 T lime juice
½ t salt and pepper
I did not exactly follow the sequence as I thought cooking everything first and then making the salad would result in cold quesadillas.
So first I made the salad first which was very easy. Slice the tomatoes, avocado and onion and place in a bowl. Next I mixed the remaining ingredients and pored over and stirred. Cover with wrap and placed in the refrigerator while I prepared the rest.
Next toss the shrimp with the garlic, salt, spices, OJ and EVOO. Place by a grille pan on the stove.
I next took the tortillas and placed them on wax paper on the counter. I grated the zucchini on wax paper. Cut the scallions and placed on wax paper. I had previously measured out the corn and thawed it. Next I measured out the cheese by weight.
Assembly
Place half the cheese on ½ of the tortilla. Top with all the veggies and then top with the other half of the cheese. Grille the shrimp for a total of 3 minutes in the grille pan that has been heated to 450 degrees. After cooking the shrimp, chop them. Divide among the tortillas and turn the one half of the tortilla over the other half with all the veggies, cheese and chopped shrimp.
One at a time, grill the tortillas on each side for 2 minutes on medium low. You are only melting the cheese and making grill marks on the tortillas. As you finish each, place on a cutting board and cut in thirds.
Serve with the salad. We really liked this meal. Jim served a Rosenblum Santa Barbara County Roussanne from Fess Parker Vineyard. I have to say this was a fabulous wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment