Thursday, September 30, 2010

Last Week France, this week Indiana

On our next adventure we headed to Bayeux to see the tapestries. These tapestries are the story from which the Pillars of the Earth book is based on. It was so interesting and I could follow the story better having read the book. We had lunch in lovely sidewalk café. I had an excellent Salad Nicoise. Jim had Andouillette. According to my menu translation book this means sausage. We saw a sausage looking thing in the market with this name, but every time Jim tries to order it, they tell him it is tripe. Today he said he wanted to try it. It looked like a cooked sausage, but was indeed tripe rolled up and cooked. It had a very strong taste. After lunch we took the little train through town and then Jim went to a wine store to buy Calvados. I bought a few gifts in the store. On the way to the car, we stopped in a café that had desserts. I had tea and a chocolate éclair. Jim had coffee and a very beautiful chocolate coated cake. It was fun and different for us to have dessert in the middle of the afternoon. We drove back to Caen and figured out how to get to a great Bistro area that we were told about at the hotel. One of the day clerks was from Chicago and went to France to teach English to French people. She stayed. This walking street of restaurants is by William the Conqueror’s palace. We parked there and walked across the street. We had an excellent dinner in La Poternse. I had oysters followed by Dover Sole. It was so fresh and tasty. Jim had really good French Onion Soup, sea bass with saffron, bacon risotto. He followed this with salad and a cheese course. This is where we had the wonderful white Bordeaux. I had Calvados for dessert. This is our last night in Normandy. I love Normandy. I think it is my favorite part of France. I want to come here again.
I am now in IN and ate lunch in my favorite Hobart restaurant, Bistro 54 I had a perfectly cooked Brat and the most delicious potato salad. Hopefully the owner, also named Linda will read this and send us the entire recipe. Unfortunately he did not have his delicious cucumber margarita, but he makes a wonderful Cosmo.
I forgot to add a photo.  This was our mid afternoon pastry stop. 

No comments:

Post a Comment