Thursday, September 2, 2010

Steak, sweet potatoes and aspargus

We are still eating out of our freezer. I had two Omaha Steaks. Jim grilled them for a total of 7 minutes. I probably would have liked 6. I speed baked a very large sweet potato that we split and served the steaks with Wegmans premade BĂ©arnaise sauce. We also put some on our asparagus. This is Jim’s favorite meal. I could serve this to him every night of the week and he’d be a happy camper with very high cloistral. So, I keep him alive with veggie meals and every now and then give him a treat.
Back when I was in fig mode I made Spiced Figs. I served them tonight with pistachio ice cream for dessert. They are the first thing I have made out of that Silver Spoon Cookbook that have been good and turned out as expected.
Spiced Figs
½ t ground cinnamon
½ t ground coriander
2 cloves
1/2 t ground ginger
½ C superfine sugar
Rind of 1 orange, thinly pared and cut into strips
12 ripe figs
Put the spices, sugar and orange rind in a pan, add 2 ¼ C water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 10 minute, then add the figs and simmer for 5 minutes more. Do not let the syrup boil. Remove the pan from the heat and let cool. Drain the figs, reserving the syrup, and put them in a dish. Bring the syrup back to a boil and cook over medium heat until reduced by half, then pour over the figs. Let cool completely.
Jim served an Italian wine. Cantine Antonio Caggiano, Taurasi, 2002, Vigna, Macchia Dei Goti. He has no idea where he got it, but it was wonderful. I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment