Sunday, September 5, 2010

Omlets in the AM and Sauce for Future Dining

Last night we went to dinner at the club again. They are still doing half price wine. While Jim was deciding what to have for dinner he asked what we were having tonight. I answered cold soba noodles with vegetables. I got such a look and he ordered steak. I ordered mushroom ravioli. I think the ravioli was purchased; the sauce was horrible.


This am I made mushroom cheese omelets. (Don’t want Jim to die from too many vegetables today.) I cooked the mushrooms after the bacon and before starting the omelets. Per Julia, I put a T of butter in the skillet and whisked two eggs. Keep shaking the pan thrusting to the outside edge away from the handle. Toward the end add the shredded cheese. Today I used Monterey Jack. They were light and fluffy and came out perfect. I then topped with the mushrooms.

Speaking of sauce I made a second batch of basil tomato sauce to store for quick winter meals. My basil was big again. I changed the recipe a little from that I made at the beginning of July. I was reading Wegmans Menu magazine and they had a similar sauce. It differed from the one in July as it only had 2T of EVOO instead of 1/4C, but finished by adding 2T of butter. It started with 6 cloves of garlic and ½ C minced onions instead of just 5 garlic cloves. The one in July also cooked the chopped basil from the beginning with the garlic. This added at the end and only cooked the basil 5 minutes. This sauce has a more pungent basil smell. I am now cooling it to package for winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment