Thursday, April 15, 2010

Wednesday Dinner, Sweet Chili-Mustard Chicken Salad with toasted Almonds

This recipe is from a book called Weber, Real Grilling. This meal was really good. I loved the dressing. We had our left over black bean soup with it. It didn’t taste as boring when it was not the center of attention.
Dressing:
¾ C pineapple juice
2T mild chili sauce
2T white wine vinegar
1T soy sauce
1T Dijon mustard
1t dark sesame oil
In a medium saucepan whisk together the first 4 ingredients. Bring to a boil and simmer to reduce to ½ C. About 15 minutes. Transfer to a bowl, add the mustard and oil and allow cooling to room temperature.

Toast ½ cup of almonds. I do this by putting them in a small skillet and watching them very carefully. The recipe says 5 minutes. I do not know as I have learned not to take my eyes off the nuts while toasting on top of the stove.

4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
Canola oil
½ t chopped fresh marjoram. (I used 1/3 less dry)
Kosher salt and pepper
4 C baby mixed greens
1 4” cucumber halved lengthwise and thinly sliced

If you believe that I really measured the cucumber, you don’t know me. I looked for a small one, but Max and I love cucumber. We shared as I chopped. Meanwhile I oiled the chicken breast halves and sprinkled with marjoram, salt and pepper. I sent them outside with Jim. He grilled over medium heat for about 8 minutes. When they came in we cut them into bite size pieces.

In a bowl, combine the greens, chicken, almonds and cucumber. Drizzle the dressing over top, toss and enjoy.  We really like this. I would definitely serve to company this summer.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds great. I am placing it on our menu for next week and will let you know how it comes out.

    ReplyDelete