Monday, April 5, 2010

Halibut and Salad

I have two recipes tonight. The first came from the lady behind the counter at Wegman’s. I was planning a salad for tonight, but felt we had to have fish as Jim’s brother and his wife are coming and they do not eat fish. Wegman’s had wonderful fresh caught Halibut . The fishmonger said she grilled it last night with lemon pepper and lemon juice. I have these Williams-Sonoma cedar grilling papers. So I sprinkled the halibut with the lemon pepper and some lemon juice. I had 2 slices of lemon that I placed on top of each piece. You soak the cedar papers for at least 10 minutes and it says to tie  them around the fish with a chive or scallion green. That does not work. Just soak some string and tie it with that. We cooked the Halibut on med/low for 14 minutes and it was wonderful.


The salad came from Everyday Food. I love Frisee. There is a famous French salad made with Frisee; Jim hates it; I love it. This is an easy variation; Jim liked it! I divided the recipe in half as it is for 4.

4 slices of thick cut bacon
1T dark brown sugar
Salt and pepper
1t grainy Dijon mustard
2 ¼ t red wine vinegar
2T EVOO
2 bunches of Frisee, 8 oz each, torn into bite size pieces.

There is no other place in this area that carries Frisee other than Wegman’s. Maybe that is why I shop there all the time. The recipe says to preheat the oven to 425 degrees to cook the bacon. Instead, I put the pieces of bacon on a microwave rack. Top the bacon with the brown sugar and pepper. I cooked it according to the microwave directions. If you are using the oven it says 10-15 minutes on a sheet lined with foil. When it is done, roughly chop.

In the salad bowl, put the mustard, vinegar, EVOO, salt to taste, and whisk to combine. Add the Frisee and toss to coat. Sprinkle with the chopped bacon and serve.

Jim really liked this meal. He again served a Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc, our favorite. Last week we bought some Barefoot Sauvignon Blanc; never buy that.

No comments:

Post a Comment