Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Special Brownies and Kale Chips


I was in bad shape all day today.  I did something to my shoulders and was really in pain.  Took pain medicine and then was nauseated.  What a fun day.  Dinner was lame.  Salmon in the speed cooker, asparagus and Idahoan mashed potatoes.  This is second to MacDonald’s on Jim’s favorites list.  But my two experiments turned out somewhat.  The first was the kale in the dehydrator.  The precut is too small, but large kale would be great.  I would recommend a little EVOO and then the salt as I had a lot of salt fall off.  But the result is chips and they are absolutely calorie free.  It is just dried kale.  It tastes good.  Even Jim liked it.
The second experiment is just for Jim.  He has been complaining about losing weight.  Ladies, don’t we all feel so sorry for him?  So I have been making him brownies, from the box.  I have found the brownie box mix at Aldies to be very good.  I usually add walnuts and chocolate chips.  The last time I used really great chips that I had bought in CA.  They were flavored.  This time instead of the 2/3 C of veggie oil, I used 1/3 C flax oil and 1/3 C orange oil.  I thought the flax seed oil would be better for him than veggie oil.  I had to bake it a little longer, and the orange was a little too strong.  So next time I am going to use less orange oil, but Jim liked the orange and chocolate together.  He thought the result was a deeper chocolate taste.    

No comments:

Post a Comment