Friday, October 12, 2012

Carmelized Onion and Shallot Dip


I have two events that I am getting ready for; one a boat party that I just have to bring something and the other is another dinner party.  I had planned to make a half of the following recipe for the dinner party, but instead I made the whole amount and will take it with a veggie platter and Terra chips to the boat party and serve about a cup with other appetizers at my dinner party on Monday. 
Ingredients:
2# large yellow or white onions, sliced (they said thinly, but I had to do this twice as they burned.  The second time I did them about ¼ “ thick and they did fine.)
2 large shallots, sliced
4 sprigs thyme
¼ C EVOO
Kosher salt and pepper
1 C dry white wine
2 T Sherry vinegar
2 C sour cream
¼ C minced fresh chives
¼ C plain whole milk Greek yoghurt
2 t onion powder
Directions:
1.       Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2.       Mix onions, shallots, thyme sprigs, and oil in a large roasting pan.  Season with salt and pepper.
3.       Roast onion mixture, stirring and scraping down sides of pan every 10 minutes, until mixture stars to break down and turn golden brown, 45-55 minutes.  (I did 45 minutes the second time with all the onions cut about ¼ “ thick)
4.       Discard the thyme sprigs.  Add wine and vinegar; stir scrape up any browned bits from bottom of pan. 
5.       Return onion mixture to the oven and continue roasting, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes. 
6.       Spread onion mixture out on a rimmed baking sheet to cool. 
7.       Mince the onion mixture.  I did mine in the food processor. 
8.       In a bowl, mix the remaining 4 ingredients and stir in the onion puree.  Taste for salt and pepper. 
This can be done ahead as many as 3 days.  Cover and keep chilled.  Will tell you later how it taste.  I did have Jim taste it and he said oniony and good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment