Wednesday, February 8, 2012

White Bean and Kale Soup with Rosemary and Parmigiano-Reggiano


I bought the Now Eat this Diet book by Rocco Dispirito before we moved, but never got around to using any of the recipes.  I guess what put me off was on the front it says, “Loose up to 10 pounds in just 2 weeks eating 6 meals a day.”  I don’t know about you, but I do not have time to fix 6 meals every day, or even think about 6 times eating.  Part 1 is the first 100 pages that give you his ideas on dieting.  I may read it someday, but for now, I am just looking at recipes.  We were very busy today so I chose to start with this soup which was very fast.  The verdict was that it tasted really good.  Every recipe has a before and after as he is famous for reducing calories for known dishes.  I have never heard of this soup so I can’t compare the tastes.  It serves 4. 
Ingredients:   
1 T EVOO
½ medium yellow onion, cut into medium dice
4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1 (15.5 oz.) can of white beans
½ t roughly chopped fresh rosemary
1 bay leaf
4 C low-fat low-sodium chicken broth
5 C roughly chopped kale
Salt and pepper
¼ C grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
Directions:
1.      Heat the oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat.  When hot, add the onion and sauté for 3 minutes.  Add the garlic and sauté for another 2 minutes. 
2.      Add the beans, rosemary, bay leaf and the chicken broth.  Cover and bring to a boil.  Turn down the heat and allow the soup to simmer for 5 minutes.
3.      Add the kale to the pot.  Cover and cook for about 2 minutes. 
4.      Remove the bay leaf from the soup.  Season with salt and pepper to taste. 
5.      Serve the soup with a sprinkle of cheese over the bowl. 
How easy was that!  We had saltines with the soup. 

No comments:

Post a Comment