Sunday, February 12, 2012

Scallops Fra Diavolo with Linguine / Grilled Garlic Bread


I really wanted scallops today and I did not want to go to the store to buy any ingredients, so I scoured my cookbooks and came up with this recipe.  This was in The Cook’s Illustrated Cookbook,  I just bought at Costco.   Looking it over, the calories were quite high, but I worked on it and reduced  by half.  I will write the original recipe and in parentheses give you the version I made.  Jim and I both thought my version was delicious.  Jim had two huge servings and we have a lunch portion left over.  So, even the reduced version serves 4. 
Ingredients:
1# spaghetti ( I used ½# whole wheat spaghetti)
Salt
1# large scallops
6 T EVOO (I used 3)
1 t red pepper flakes, or to taste
¼ C cognac or brandy (I used 2T)  If you use the 1/4C, tie back your hair, roll up your sleeves, turn off the exhaust fan, have a high ceiling.  Make sure all burners are off and light with a very long match. 
12 garlic cloves, minced
1 (28 oz can) diced tomatoes, DRAINED   (I used a 15 oz can)
1 C dry white wine
½ t sugar (I used Splenda)
¼ C minced fresh parsley
Directions:
1.      Bring 4 qts. water to a boil in a large pot.  Add pasta and 1 T salt and cook, stirring often, until al dente.  Reserve ½ C cooking water, then drain pasta and return to pot.  I have a Calphalon pasta pot.  I love it.  I cook the pasta, and pull it out with the insert and leave the insert resting out of the water, but over it.  When it is time to serve the pasta, I dip it back in the water, pull it out and it is warm and adds a little pasta water to the dish. 
2.      Meanwhile, toss the scallops with 2 (1) T of EVOO, ½ t red pepper flakes, and ¾ (1/2) t salt.
3.      Heat a 12” skillet over high heat.  Add the scallops, spread into even layer, and cook, without stirring, until bottoms of scallops turn spotty brown, about 30 seconds.
4.      Off heat, flip the scallops then add cognac and let warm through, about 5 seconds.
5.      Wave lit match over pan until cognac ignites, then shake pan to distribute flames. 
6.      When flames subside, transfer scallops to a bowl and set aside.  Cool skillet slightly, about 3 minutes. 
7.      Heat 3 (1 ½) T EVOO and three quarters of garlic in now-empty skillet over low heat.  Cook, stirring constantly, until garlic foams and is stick and straw-colored, about 10 minutes.  (Mine took less and never foamed.)
8.      Stir in tomatoes, wine, sugar (Splenda), ¾ (1/2) salt, and remaining ½ t pepper flakes, increase heat to medium-high, and simmer until thickened, about 8 minutes.  
9.      Stir in scallops along with any accumulated juices, parsley, and remaining garlic into sauce. 
10.  Simmer until scallops have heated through, about 1 minute. 
11.  Off heat, stir in remaining 1 (1/2) T EVOO. 
12.   Add the sauce to the pasta and toss to combine. 
You can also make this recipe with shrimp.  With this I served the Grilled Garlic Bread from Cooking Light Mix & Match low-calorie Cookbook.    
Ingredients:
1T EVOO
4 (1-oz) slices French bread
1 garlic clove, halved
Directions:
My stove in this rental house is severely lacking in size and large size burners so I had to use the broiler and couldn’t get cute grille marks. 
1.      Heat a grill pan over medium heat. 
2.      Brush EVOO evenly over bread slices on each side. 
3.      Add bread to pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. 
4.      Rub 1 side of each bread slice with cut sides of halved garlic clove. 
Jim served a great Italian white wine.  It is a 2007 Ribolla Gialla, DOC Zuc di Volvpe.  We got it in VA from the Opera House Gourmet.  It stood up to 12 cloves of garlic and was really good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment