Saturday, February 11, 2012

Kiwi Sorbet


I bought a lot of Kiwi at Costco.  I could not eat them all and started searching for recipes.  I found this one on Epicurious.  It was published in Bon Appetite in July 2009.  This was a real find as it took 2# of the fruit.  I changed out the sugar for Splenda and had a sugar free dessert.  You could use any fruit.  It tasted wonderful.  I would however recommend that you buy a lot of disposable ½ C storage containers as it becomes quite hard in the freezer.  Jim broke the storage container I had used spooning out 2 servings.  With individual containers, you could leave to soften slightly and unmold into the serving dish to further soften.    This was so good and good for you.  We don’t get enough fruit. 
Ingredients:
2 # tender ripe green kiwifruit
¾ C superfine granulated sugar (I used Splenda)
Directions:
1.      Peel and chop kiwis, then pulse with sugar (Splenda) in a food processor until smooth. 
2.      Chill until cold, about 1 hour.  (This recipe was published in the summer.  I did not find the need to chill.)
3.      Freeze in ice cream maker, then transfer to an airtight container and put in freezer to firm up, about an hour.  (Like I said, firm was not the word, when left in longer.)
Note:
Kiwi can be ripened by storing in a sealed paper bag with a banana.

No comments:

Post a Comment