Sunday, February 5, 2012

Super Bowl Appetizer and Dessert


On October 3, 2011 I posted a recipe for Emeril’s Hot Sauce that I made using our friend Matt’s hot peppers from his garden.   It was to sit in the refrigerator for at least two weeks.  At the time I said I was going to use it to make chicken wings.  Well today was the day.  We are going to a Super Bowl party and everyone is bringing an hors de horves.   I made two things as I wanted to try them out. 
The first is chicken wings.  I checked with Jim’s cousin and no one was bringing them.  I sort of followed the wing recipe in February’s Bon Appetite, but read a little on line and made some changes.  Jim tasted one and said, “I can feel the heat, but my eyes are not tearing up.”  He also liked that they were not greesy.  He hates it when you get greesy wings and it gets all over you.  I am just going to post what I did.  If you want to look at the BA version go on line.    
Crispy Baked Chicken Wings
Ingredients:
5# chicken wings, drumettes and flats only.  I found them in the freezer section, let thaw. 
2 T vegetable oil
1 T Kosher salt
Black pepper, I used about 1T
Emeril’s hot sauce (see blog in October)
Directions:
1.      The night before, in a large bowl, combine the thawed chicken wings veggie oil, salt, pepper and about 1 C hot sauce.  Stir to coat and refrigerate overnight.
2.      The next day, heat the oven to 400 degrees.  Prepare two large rimmed pans by covering with aluminum foil.  Set a wire rack on each.  Divide the wings between the two pans.  Bake for 50 minutes or longer until the wings are cooked through and the skin is crispy. 
3.      Leave the oven on, but remove the wings.  Pour another cup of hot sauce in a bowl.  Coat the wings on all sides by dipping in the bowl.  Return to the oven for 10-15 minutes until the wings look dry. 
4.      Add more hot sauce to the bowl and dip them again returning to the racks to cool. 
I made the dip from an Ellie Krieger recipe that I found in USA weekend last week.  It was easier with fewer ingredients than the one in BA.  I doubled the recipe as her wing recipe was only for 2#. 
Blue Cheese Dip 
Ingredients:
¼ C plain Greek non-fat yogurt
2 T mayonnaise
1 t white wine vinegar
1 1/2 oz crumbled blue cheese, about 1/3 cup
Directions:
1.      In a small bowl, stir together the yogurt, mayo, vinegar.
2.      Add the blue cheese and with the back of a fork, mash the chunks of blue cheese to integrate the cheese into the dip. 
I washed and cut up celery.  I am going to place the dip in the center of a large platter.  I will divide the wings in half on the platter with a stack of celery and dilled green beans made by my sister-in-law Tammy. 
Brownies
These could be titled, “How to get a vegetable in your Man during the Super Bowl.” Dr. Oz makes these with peanut butter; I used 3 hands full of walnuts. 
Ingredients:
Boxed brownie mix of your choice
1 can of pureed pumpkin
Nut of your choice, I used walnuts, about 3 hand full. 
Directions:
1.      Mix the brownie mix and the pumpkin together with about ¼ C of water.
2.      Add nuts or not.  Mix well
3.      Spread in a 9” X 12” baking pan.
4.      Bake according to directions on the box.
My box said to cut into 20 pieces.  They are not thick.  If you want them thicker, according to the box, bake in a 9x9 pan.  Jim said they were chocolaty and chewy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment