Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Lemon Pepper Shrimp Scampi

Jim is now cleaning up the mess I made tonight. When I asked him how he liked the meal, he said this is really good, but it took all those dishes to make this? Well, it did, as I use different plastic tops on my butcher block depending on what I am chopping and you had to remove the shrimp to a container while you were cooking the garlic and then adding it back. We also had a larger dishwasher in the old house, so I could dump in dishes as they were used. Not working here, anyway good meal, from Cooking Light Magazine, March 2009. This yields 4 servings, but I did half the shrimp and all the rest of the recipe for the two of us.
Ingredients:
1 C uncooked orzo, I used Israeli
2 T chopped fresh parsley
½ t salt, divided
7 t unsalted butter, divided
1 ½ # peeled and deveined jumbo shrimp, I used frozen uncooked in the shell and defrosted.
2 t bottled minced garlic
2 T fresh lemon juice
¼ t black pepper
Directions:
1. Cook orzo according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. However spray your pan with Pam as it sticks like glue to the pan and you lose half your orzo. I turned it to low about half way through the cooking and added the ¼ t of salt and the parsley at the end and just recovered until I was done with the shrimp.
2. While orzo cooks, melt 2 T of butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle shrimp with remaining ¼ t salt. Add the shrimp and sauté until almost done, 2 minutes. Remove to a plate. Melt 1t butter in the pan. Add garlic to pan; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Stir in shrimp, juice, and pepper; cook 1 minute or until shrimp are done.
3. Place orzo in a bowl and pour the shrimp and garlic butter over.
I served with asparagus done in a microwave that does not tell me by weight when it is done. I did it as usual with orange EVOO, salt and pepper. It took 6 minutes, but I felt the asparagus was tough and should have been peeled.

No comments:

Post a Comment