Tuesday, May 10, 2011

In TN surrounded by Boxes

We are finally getting close to setting up the kitchen. Don’t want to unpack too much as we just will have to repack when the new house is done, but it is at least a year so I want to be able to cook. I am using the guest room closet as kitchen backup. The first time we had other than frozen food at home, Jim grilled and I made a salad, nothing fancy. Next was Sunday and we were dead tired from unpacking. I looked in the pantry and found a can of salmon and black beans. Jim’s cousin had sent me home with her delicious broccoli salad. I combined all this, draining the salmon and beans, with a little Caesar dressing. This was served on Romaine. It was delicious. I will get the broccoli salad recipe for you. We just finished it up for lunch today.
Last night I did Salt and Pepper Shrimp.
Ingredients:
Salt
Pepper
Shrimp
Directions:
1. Use the largest shrimp you can find. They must have the shells on. Drain and pepper them generously.
2. In an iron skillet, cover the bottom about ¼” deep with kosher salt. Put on the burner on high and wait until it is sizzling hot.
3. Call husband to dinner before you start the cooking. Make sure he is seated before starting cooking.
4. Set timer for 1 ½ minute and start putting the shrimp in the skillet. When it rings, set again for 1 ½ minutes and start turning the shrimp quickly. When it rings the shrimp should look pink. Turn off the burner and place the shrimp on the platter.
Have lots of napkins available. I like this meal for two reasons, you peel what you eat and it is very good. Do not overcook the shrimp. I served this with a spinach and fruit salad. We usually add rice, but we haven’t found it yet.   I think I first heard of this meal from Martha on the internet.  Be sure and use an iron skillet as the salt and temperture will wreck most skillets. 

1 comment:

  1. I was thinking about you this morning and wondering if you were safely ensconced in TN. Glad to see you are there and slowly unpacking.

    ReplyDelete