Monday, May 16, 2011

Pork Chops and Sweet Potatoes

Happy days, I found my measuring spoons and the butter dish. A few other things I needed but not as important as those. Tonight’s dish was yummy. It really does feed 4. I copied this recipe off of aol.Food.com, but I changed it to an outdoor grilling recipe. We have a glass top stove and my indoor grilling pan is too rough and I am afraid of breaking the edge or scratching the surface. The marinade flavored the meat very nicely. I let the pork rest and poured the juice from the resting platter on the watercress. The bitterness of the watercress and the sweetness of the potatoes was really a good match.
Ingredients:

2.5 # red skinned sweet potatoes, peeled can cut into 2” chunks.
3 T EVOO
Kosher salt
Fresh ground black pepper
½ C pure maple syrup
4, 8 oz center-cut bone-in pork loin chops each ¾” thick. (Neither here or VA can I find bone in thick pork chops. When you find them they are stuffed with something unknown).
2T fresh marjoram leaves, I used 2 t dried
¾ C dry white wine
1 bunch watercress, thick stalks removed
Instructions:
1. Take the EVOO, salt, pepper, marjoram leaves, and wine and put in a sealable plastic bag. Mix all ingredients well and add the pork chops. Seal well and place on a plate in the refrigerator.
2. When ready to grille, peal the sweet potatoes and place on a baking pan that I lined with non-stick aluminum foil. Sprinkle with salt and peppy. Place in the oven and cook at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Turn and cook for an additional 20 minutes. Add the maple syrup and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Keep warm in the oven until the pork chops are done.
3. Grille the pork chops until they reach 160 degrees.
4. Divide the watercress on 4 plates. Arrange the yams alongside the watercress. Place pork chop on each plate and pour sauce over, if you used a grille pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment