Thursday, October 14, 2010

Fish Tacos

Sunset Magazine did a fish taco article. I love fish tacos. I never liked tacos until I tasted a fish one. Last night I made Baja Light. Tonight, I will be making Mediterranean.
1T ancho chile powder
2t dried Mexican oregano
¼ t each of kosher salt and pepper
1 1/2 # boned, skinned Pacific cod
1T EVOO
12 to 14 corn tortillas (5-6”) warmed on the grill
1 Heat grill to high. Combine seasonings in a small bowl. Set fish on a rimmed baking sheet. Rub all over with oil and sprinkle with seasonings. Oil cooking grate, using tongs and a wad of oiled paper towels.
2 Grill fish, covered, turning once, until just cooked through, 4-6 minutes total. Break fish into large chunks. Fill tortillas with slaw and fish. Serve with tartar sauce.
The Fixings
Cabbage and Cilantro Slaw
3T lime juice
2T Vegetable oil
1/4t red chile flakes
¼ t kosher salt
10 oz. bag of finely shredded cabbage
1/2C fresh cilantro
Put the first 4 ingredients in a bowl. Blend. Add the slaw and cilantro and combine.
Light Chipotle Tartar Sauce
2T canned chipotle chilies, seeded, deveined and rinsed
1C plain low-fat Greek Yogurt
1/4C sweet pickle relish
¼ C chopped onion
Put all in blender. Blend until all is chopped. Actually I had sweet pickles and I put them in whole with a piece of onion and the blender did the work.
Jim complained that his lips were burning the entire meal. I did not find it that hot, just plain good heat.  As it was just Jim and I, I cut the fish to a pound and used 6 tortillas.  The slaw I made all and cut the sauce in half.  We had slaw and sauce left over. 

1 comment:

  1. Linda, I wanted to thank you for your sweet comment.
    Your slaw recipe sounds wonderful---I love the idea of cilantro in there. We're having tacos tonight, it would be a fantastic side.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete