Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Expermenting with pasta sauce

Jim’s still away but it was a rainy day so I made more basil pasta sauce. I did not use the recipe I blogged about the last time. I was going to but I read other sauces and decided to do a little experimenting as Jim is always so negative about tomato sauces. Here is what I used and I think it tastes pretty good. Of course I have not tried it with pasta yet. I picked a ton of basil the other day as I was sure we were going to have a frost. It was over 80 today and extremely humid.
Ingredients:
¼ C Basil EVOO
½ white onion, chopped
½ red onion, chopped
2 carrots chopped
5 large garlic cloves, rough chop
5 celery stalks, 3 from the middle with the leaves
4 cans of diced tomatoes
6 cups of loosely packed basil leaves all stems removed
Salt and pepper
Instructions:
1. I heated the EVOO and added all the vegetables to soften but not brown. When they were soft, added the basil leaves and softened them.
2. Next I added the tomatoes and salt and pepper. Probably a t each. I simmered it for 2 hours.
3. Using an immersion blender I emulsified the contents and let it cool. I tasted and added 1 ½ t more salt.
The tomato taste is definitely softened by all the vegetables. I will have to report the results and how I use it after he returns. It is now cooling completely so I can pack it for the freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment