Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Wednesday, Chinese-style beef, sweet potatoes, and bok choy stew.

Tonight Jim got his beef fix. This was another very fragrant meal and delicious. It comes from Sunset Magazine. They really have very trusted recipes. It is kind of a stir fry hot pot kind of meal. So I did the entire chopping and dicing first and then put the wok on.


4 large garlic cloves

1 piece fresh ginger cut into chunks, 1” sq.

1/14 # beef rib-eye steak

½ t salt

1 T veg. oil

2 t Chinese five-spice powder

3 cups beef broth, I used organic from Wegman’s.

2T soy sauce, I used low sodium

12 oz. sweet potato

12 oz. baby bok choy

2 green onions

First I chopped the sweet potato in French fry shapes 1/3“ square slices, like skinny french fries, and set on the counter next to my wok.

Then I took the chopped garlic and the chopped ginger and ground it in my mini-mini food processor.

Next I cut the beef into 1/4“slices and then put half the garlic ginger and all the salt in a bowl with it.

Next I cut the bok choy in pieces, rinsed and drained in a colander. I also trimmed the green onion into 3” slivers.

Next I waited for Jim to finish his work and come back from walking Max.

Turn the wok on high with the veg. oil in it. Add the beef and stir fry for about 6 min. Remove to a new plate.

Turn the heat down a little and add the remaining garlic/ginger and Chinese 5-spice powder in the wok. Stir until fragrant and add the beef broth and soy sauce. Add the sweet potato and bring to a boil. Boil for 3 minutes. Then add the bok choy and after 2 minutes add the beef back in to warm up, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle with the green onions and serve. Again this was for 4, but it is all gone.
Jim served an Altano Reserva 2006 wine from the Douro region of Portugal with this meal. It was excellent. It came from the Opera House Gourmet wine club in Manassas. I told him to buy more. Today was the dentist and tomorrow is school. We are doing vegetarian tomorrow. Jim always does his cheek puffing routine when meat is not involved. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment