Sunday, January 24, 2010

Dinner for Sunday, my neighbor and I

Thought I was going out for dinner tonight with my neighbor, Elaine, as Jim was at our golf club eating and watching a football game. We were going to a restaurant that is not a favorite of mine, and the weather was nasty. I was on line all afternoon looking up recipes. At about 4:10 PM I decided that we needed to stay in. I called Elaine and asked if she liked black beans and shrimp. She said yes, and also she had an avocado. We were set. This again is from Eat Well by Williams Sonoma.


Black Beans & Avocado with Shrimp

Red onion ½ c finely chopped, and rinsed and drained in a fine sieve. I still have to find out why they want you to rinse the chopped onion

Black Beans, 2 cans, rinsed and drained

Lime juice, ¼ c

Olive oil 1 ½ T

Jalapeno, 1 seeded and minced. I keep a jar of sliced jalapeno in the refrigerator. After living in CA, I realized that fresh Jalapeno is so much stronger in CA. The ones in the jar are more like CA fresh.

Oregano, ¾ t

Salt

Ripe avocados, 2

Cooked, shelled medium shrimp, 1 #. I defrosted and then baked the shrimp at 400 degrees for 8 minutes in olive oil, salt and pepper

Cilantro ½ c chopped (as before I used Italian parsley)

I only made half as it was just the two of us. You basically combine it all except the avocado. Add avocados right before serving. I served the black beans and shrimp on Organic Asian Mixed Salad Greens.

This crostini had a light spread of basil pesto from Viansa in CA on it with cheese. I cut up a lovely blood Orange for each that came for Christmas from my friend Mary for each of us for dessert.

I feel like Rachael Ray. I had dinner start to finish done is less than 30 minutes. I even had time for my martini while waiting for Elaine to arrive.

At the last minute, I thought I don’t have an appetizer, so I got out some of Jim’s mixed nuts. He ate most of them when he came home in time to watch the movie with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment