Friday, January 22, 2010

Friday morning and night

Yesterday, I finally recieved the last of the ingredients that I could not find locally to make Dr. Oz's Brain Boosting Smoothie.  My Mother has severe dementia, maybe Altzheimers.  I've told Jim to shoot me if I end up like that.  So when Dr. Oz had this on TV, I went for it.

1 banana
1/4 c blueberries, I used frozen
1 handful of hemp nuts
1/2 cup of apple juice
1 t of rhodiola rosea

Throw in the blender and you end up with blue hands, teeth and tongue.  The hemp nuts and the rhodiola rosea were hard to find locally and I got them through Amazon.  It is winter so, the blueberries were frozen.  It tasted good.   If you want to know what all this does for you, sign on to Dr. Oz's website.  The hemp nuts came from a vegan organic grower in CA.  I'm thinking of adding it to bread.  The Rhodiola Rosea, I would like to find locally; it cost $15 for a very small bottle from Amazon.  Will let you know if I get smarter. 

Dinner was again from Williams Sonoma Eat Well.  Perfect for today.  We had ice, sleet, snow, sun and then freezing.  So I said soup was perfect.   Rachael Ray sometimes calls things "Stoup."  She says that it is a combo between Stew and Soup.  That is a perfect discreption of this. 

wild rice, 1/2 cup
sesame oil 1T
vegetable oil 1 T
yellow onion, 1 chopped
fresh ginger 1T minced
garlic, 2 cloves, minced
chicken broth 4 c
carrots, they said one.  Who uses one carrot.  I used 4, but I would use more. 
3 bone in chicken breasts
2 bone in chicken thighs
white rice, 1/2 c
green onions, 1/4 c  thinly sliced
cilantro, I do not like it so I used Italian parsley, 1/4 c
salt and pepper to taste

You cook the wild rice separately in 2 cups of water for 50 minutes.  After it is finished, left it in the water on the stove until needed, then drain.  I put saltand pepper in the water. 

Use a soup pot and add both oils.  Cook the onion for about 5 minutes.  Some ask, "What size onion?"  I say if you like onion, bigger; if you don't, smaller.  I always use sweet onions.  Then add garlic and ginger; I used a rasper to mince both.  When fragrant, then add the chicken broth, 2 cups of water, all chicken, carrots, and the white rice.  After it comes to a boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.  Remove the chicken and cut into bite size pieces.  Add back to the pot with wild rice, green onions and in my case, Italian parsley.

Jim said I should state the wine we have for the meals.  We had a CA Merlot.  It was young so he used his aerator pouring into a "ship carafe."  It was good.   

Jim ate his "stoup" with Saltines.  I had mine as cooked.  On his second bowl he said he needed salt.  I said that Dr. Oz today said that you should have only 1t of salt a day.  I thought his Saltines were supplying it.  He backed off.

I am going to keep eating Dr. Oz's Smoothie until I get smarter.  See if you can tell the difference.    

No comments:

Post a Comment