Sunday, January 24, 2010

Baked eggs with chives and cream

Today's blog is about breakfast.  It can be found in total on page 55, of Fine Cooking Magazine, Feb/Mar 2009.  Breakfast is supposed to be the most important meal of the day.  I don't mind breakfast as long as it comes after 10:00 AM.  Once, I tried to make breakfast before 10:00 AM and dropped a knife in my foot.  This recipe appealed to me for two reasons.  Jim likes eggs over easy (what a greasy mess), and I had the exact shallow dish shown in the photo.  They also had a side called candied bacon.  We have not found a bacon we like since Costco stopped carrying our favorite.  I remembered that I have maple sugar.  My friend Jane brought it down from PA so I could make a maple flavored, monkey bread.  So instead of using maple syrup and brown sugar, I put three pieces of bacon on a microwave pan and sprinkled on about 2 t of the maple sugar.  The bacon was good. 
The baked eggs with chives and cream were perfect.  Start by placing the rack in the middle of the oven and heating the over to 425 degrees.  I used spray butter and coated the gratin dishes.  Break 2 eggs in each dish.  Coat the eggs with 1T each of heavy cream and l 1/2 t of chives.  I used freeze dried.  Place in the oven for 5 minutes.  Then without opening the door, turn off the oven and turn the broiler on high for 2 minutes longer. 
Breakfast went like this:

ME:  These are really good, right?
Jim:   Grunted something
ME:  The yokes are perfectly done and the whites tender.
Jim:   Same grunt
ME:  The maple sugar makes this bacon edible.  
Jim:   Grunted again
ME:  Gave up and enjoyed my breakfast.

But after we finished he asked if this would be my blog today, and I answered yes as he is going to some guy/football thing at the club and would not be here for dinner.  He asked what this was called and I said Shirred Eggs.  We then went into spelling and pronunciation and what the word meant.  Then I looked at the recipe again, and they were not called Shirred Eggs at all, but were cooked like other egg recipes I had done that were called by that name.  So I said let's consult Julia.  Well to my surprise Julia says the following:
"A shirred egg is one that is broken into a small, flat, buttered dish and cooked quickly under the broiler."  Here is the kicker.
"Shirred eggs should never be attempted in the oven as it toughens them."  I still say these eggs were fabulous. 
The full menu in the magazine includes a sour cream coffee cake, but I didn't have any sour cream and so we had Wolferman's Muffins instead. If you have not had Wolferman's Muffins, you should try them.  They are not gummy like the Thomas'.  I once made muffins using a James Beard recipe.  These are as close to homemade as there is.  I have never lived anywhere where they were sold in a store.  But they are easily ordered on the internet.  We were first introduced to them by Jim's mother.  Our latest batch came from Jim's brother and sister-in-law as a Christmas present.  So look them up, Wolferman's, not my brother in law, and order some.  They come in a large variety of flavors and freeze well.      

1 comment:

  1. I don't talk much when I am in the middle of eating something very good. Hence, grunt means good.

    ReplyDelete