Sunday, January 17, 2010

Sunday Morning, more or less

Today is Sunday.  After deciding we had way too much wine last night, I made bacon and French toast.  Please if  you read this blog write Costco and ask them to bring back their Maple flavored bacon.  Since they stopped carrying it, I've tried every brand in almost every store and can't find a replacement.  If you have a good tasting one, send it to me.  But after trying a million French Toast recipes, we like the following the best.  To start you need to have the wonderful Brioche loaf that is made by Miels Bakery in Marlton, NJ.  Second to traveling to NJ is the Brioche loves made only on weekends by Wegman's.  If you live in a section of the country were you can not obtain good Brioche, move.  The recipe I use is on page 587 of the Joy of Cooking.  My edition was printed in 1972.  I mix 2 eggs, 1/2 t. salt, 1 c skim milk and a splash of vanilla.  I cut 6 1" slices  and lay in a pyrex rectangular dish.  Depending on your loaf, choose your pan accordingly.  The little loafs from Wegman's take a different size pan to soak the bread.  I then poor the egg mixture over the bread and wait for it to be soaked up.  Turning it a couple times.  I ccok them all at once on a grille that lays across two burners.  Cook until you see browning on the bread. 
However if you can't get Brioche and don't want to move a good but more complicated French toast is in The Deen Bros. Cookbook, Recipes from the Road.  For this recipe I use Costco Innkeeper's 8 grain bread.  Note to Costco, do not discontinue this product.  This is very rich.  They say that 12 pieces serves 6 people.  I can only eat one.  To start wisk together 1 cup of light brown sugar and 1 stick of butter.  Spread it in a large rimmed baking pan.  If you are making all 12 slices, I have to divide into two pans.  Then wisk together 1 1/2 cups of milk, I use skim, they say whole.  2 eggs, 1 t. vanilla 3/4 t of cinnamon, pinch of salt and cayenne pepper.  Place the bread, 12 slices on the pan and poor the egg mixture over.  Soak for 1/2 hour or if making for company, I have done it before going to bed and it is ready to go in the AM.  Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate if making the night before.  Cook in a 375 degree oven for 25 minutes, turning it halfway through.  I serve this with fresh berries and scrambled eggs on the side when we have company.  I never make this one for just the two of us. 

1 comment: