Monday, January 25, 2010

Monday-Southeast Asian chicken and noodles

This dish was so fragrant that you were eager to eat it. I would equate it to a stew. Again serves 4 but with Jim, no leftovers. For those counting calories, Sunset Magazine says 1 ½ cup serving is 341. This was in a section called 30 minute meals.  It was very easy.  The important part of fixing this meal is to think of it as a stir fry. Get everything ready to roll, before starting to cook. I put the water on for the noodles and then started chopping. The noodles in this case are flat rice noodles. You need 8 oz., but they only come, that I have found, in 1# bags. That’s alright, next time you don’t have to buy them.


1 ½ T veg. Oil

2 T minced garlic

8 oz. green beans cut in 2 “pieces, I used frozen

1 # chicken, I used left over thigh and breast from a previous meal

¼ c fish sauce

¼ c chicken broth

2 T sugar

2 T minced fresh ginger

3 T fresh lime juice

½ cup each of chopped fresh basil, mint and scallion

Like I said in the beginning, chop and grind everything and put it beside the wok. Measure it all out. I put all the liquid in a cup, i.e. broth, fish sauce and lime juice. I had the chopped stuff on my mats next to the stove. The water was boiling and I added the noodles. I had the wok with the veg. oil heating. I have a temp gage and when it reaches wok temp, I added the garlic, beans, chicken and ginger. Stir fry for 4 min. Then add the remaining ingredients and half the basil, mint and green onions and bring to a boil. Drain the noodles and stir into the wok and add the remaining basil, mint and green onions. Serve.

Jim thought there was too much lime; I loved the taste. But I have to admit that I really didn’t measure the lime and I forgot the sugar. I just juiced a whole lime and it was a good size. I think the sugar would have had a sweet & sour component. If you watch old Julia Child shows, she used to get out a cookie sheet and put all the ingredients needed on it. Then before she started cooking she would check the recipe. I guess I never learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment