Thursday, December 20, 2012

Kale and Bean Soup


I know I said that I had enough leftovers to last until Christmas, but one can get very tired of leftovers.  I have been making chicken grilled cheese sandwiches out of the leftover chicken and Jim has really liked them.  They are quite easy.  Use good quality whole wheat or tonight I made rye bread in the bread machine.  Place a slice of slice of pepper jack cheese on each slice of bread.  Cover one side with the cooked chicken.  Put the two slices together and butter the outside of the bread.  Grille until the cheese is melted and the outside the bread is toasted.  I was sorting tons of recipes today and came across this soup.  I had leftover kale from the quinoa and red rice casserole, so I made it tonight.  It was very good and filling.  This recipe came out of the Tennessean visiting home cooks. This home cook was Wallicia Smith.    
Ingredients:
EVOO
2 cloves of garlic, minced
8 oz. chopped kale
32 oz chicken broth
1 can of cannellini beans
1 C Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper
Directions:
1.       Wash the kale.
2.       In a Dutch oven, pour enough EVOO to coat the pot and sauté the chopped garlic on medium heat.  Do not let it turn brown. 
3.       Add the kale and add another T of EVOO.
4.       Wilt the kale and add the chicken broth.  Let it cook covered for about 15 minutes. 
5.       Stir in the beans and turn the temperature down to medium. 
6.       Add the cheese and heat through. 
7.       Season to taste with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment