Friday, December 7, 2012

Aglio e Olio


I had a great dinner at the club last night, especially as it was banquet food.  I think we might have a winner of a chef.  Tonight, I could not face that bean soup and as I spent the day wrapping presents instead of making a grocery list and shopping, I had to deal with what I had in house.  I also had a great desire for pasta.  So I went to my new Rachael Ray book and found the answer.  Recipe serves 4, but we ate it all. 
Ingredients:
½ C EVOO
8-10 anchovy fillets
6 garlic cloves, chopped
2 red Fresno chilies, seeded and finely chopped
1/3 C vermouth
Salt
1 # spaghetti
½ C flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Black pepper
Directions:
1.       Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
2.       In a skillet, heat the EVOO over medium heat. 
3.       Melt the anchovy fillets into the oil, stirring the anchovies until they break up and dissolve completely into the oil. 
4.       Add the garlic and chilies; reduce the heat to low.  Stir that a few minutes, then add the vermouth. 
5.       RR said she used lemon flavored pasta in this meal.  I think it is slim to nothing that I could fine lemon flavored pasta in Nashville.  I used plain pasta.  Cook the pasta according to the directions.  Before draining the pasta, add 1 C of the starchy cooking water to the pasta.
6.       Pour the sauce over the pasta and add the parsley.  Toss and let sit for a couple of minutes to let the flavors absorb. 
7.       Add black pepper and serve. 
There is not a drop of salt in the sauce.  The anchovies give this dish great flavor.  We both loved the dish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment