Friday, November 30, 2012

Zuppa Pavese


I found this recipe in my "Italy The Beautiful Cookbook."  I was looking for something else, but came across this and the meal was perfect for tonight and tasted delicious.  I would say this is an easy go to meal for busy times. 
Ingredients:
3 T butter
6 slices firm, course-textured bread (I had French bread in the freezer)
6 C chicken broth
Salt
6 eggs
Freshly ground pepper
6 T freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Directions:
1.       Melt butter in a saucepan and fry the bread slices on both sides until golden brown. 
2.       Divide among 6 soup bowls. 
3.       Place bowl in an oven which had been preheated to 350 degrees and turn off. 
4.       Meanwhile, bring broth to a boil, adding salt if necessary (not).
5.       Break egg onto each slice of bread, pour the boiling broth over it and add pepper to taste. 
6.       Sprinkle with chopped parsley and a little grated nutmeg if desired and serve
You cannot believe how delicious this very simple meal is.  It was perfect for today as I had to go to therapy and then grocery shopping and Christmas shopping.  I was so tired, Jim was lucky to be fed at all!  He really liked it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment