Thursday, November 8, 2012

Potato Torta with Romesco Sauce


Friends on the east coast are freezing under snow; some still without electricity. Jim played golf today.  I worked on getting out all my framed photos.  We really have way too much stuff for this house.  My shoulders were hurting again so I did not feel comfortable driving.  When Jim got home we went to WS and Whole Foods to finish my shopping for this weekend entertaining.  Came home and fixed dinner.  Before Jim came home, I was outside throwing the ball for Max.  He started running along the fence barking at something I could not see.  Jim arrived a short time later and said a very domesticated fox was in the driveway as he came driving up.  He said it kind of stopped in the driveway, surveyed the car and then just wondered off.  Must have been what Max was barking at.  I was looking for a big deer.  I am still testing recipes from the Power Foods cookbook.  Jim liked this one as all the veggies were ground into the sauce and he did not realize he was eating vegtables. 
Ingredients:
12 oz. small red potatoes, thinly sliced
½ C chopped roasted red bell pepper, drained
1 small tomato, quartered
2 T almonds
2 T orange juice
1 small garlic clove
½ t smoked paprika
¼ t ground cumin
1 C fat-free egg substitute
1 T minced fresh chives (I used 1 t dried)
¼ t salt
1/8 t ground black pepper
1 T EVOO
Directions:
1.       Bring potatoes unsliced to a boil with enough cold water to cover.  Boil for about 6 minutes drain and cool.  Cut as thinly as possible.
2.       Meanwhile to make the sauce, put the next 7 ingredients in the food processor; process until smooth.  Set aside.
3.       Whish together the egg substitute, chives, salt and pepper.
4.       Heat the oil in a 12” skillet over medium heat.  Add the potatoes in a single layer and cook without moving for 5 minutes.  Turn the potatoes, keeping them in a single layer and cook until lightly browned, 3-4 minutes. 
5.       Pour the egg mixture evenly over the potatoes.  Reduce the heat and cook, covered, lifting edges with spatula once or twice until eggs are set, 4-5 minutes. 
6.       Cut in wedges and serve with the sauce. 
As we were at whole foods, I picked up some spinach Focaccia bread to serve with it.  The recipe recommends a salad.  Jim had more veggies than he could take last night.  We are going to be very busy until Sunday.  I am looking forward to a day of rest before I start the Thanksgiving push. 

No comments:

Post a Comment