Friday, August 24, 2012

Wehani Brown Rice & Fish with Mango Black Bean Salsa


Well, instead of enjoying a movie on Friday night after dinner, I am writing my blog due to Comcast.  I do not understand why the entire country does not revolt against this company.  Everyone you talk to hates them.  They control our lives and communication.  They are more inept than our government, and that is hard to do.  Dinner tonight was delightful. I had been at Whole Foods and they had a Mango Salsa for sale.  I had seen a recipe that called for a black bean mango salsa on chicken.  I decided to mix a can of black beans with my salsa and serve over trout.  It was delicious.  I also fixed the following rice dish.  This was in my Essential Pepin Cookbook.  I was looking for a rice dish and noted that there was one for Wehani Brown rice which is reddish in color.  I got this rice from Vianza a long time ago and had a rough time cooking it, never tried it again.  Here was Jacque talking about these California reddish-brown kernels and they are hard to cook.  This recipe worked fine, but took a longer cooking time than even he said.  It was excellent.  Recipe serves 4.
Ingredients:
2 T EVOO
1 medium onion, chopped (1C)
1/3 C natural pumpkin seeds
1 C Wehani rice
¾ t salt
2 ½ C warm water
Directions:
1.       Heat the oil in a medium saucepan until it is hot but not smoking.  Add the onion and sauté for 2 minutes. 
2.       Add pumpkin seeds and cook for 1 minute.
3.       Mix in the rice thoroughly, add the salt and water, and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. 
4.       Cover, reduce the heat to low, and boil gently for 1 hour, or until the rice is tender and the water has been absorbed. 
5.       Fluff the rice and serve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment