Thursday, August 9, 2012

Seared Sea Scallops with Lime Sauce on Creamed Corn


Today we got up early (for me) as we were to play golf.  The weather had another idea.  Thunder was the first I heard upon opening the door at the club.  So we came home and worked.  I decided to make this scallop dish I found when looking for corn dishes.  I froze the corn/coconut ice cream today.  Not blogging until I finish all the parts of the dessert.  This recipe comes from The New Southern Garden Cookbook, by Sheri Castle.  I found it at the Country Music Hall of Fame.  Serves 4, but easy to cut in half.  
Ingredients:
16 large dry-pack sea scallops, cleaned (I thawed frozen from Costco)
1 t kosher salt
½ t black pepper
¼ C all-purpose flour
2 T vegetable oil
8 T unsalted butter at room temperature
1 t finely grated lime zest
¼ C fresh lime juice
Creamed corn for 4
Directions:
1.      Get it all together.  Zest the lime and juice it.  I put the flour and the salt and pepper in a bag before drying the scallops. (Mine were frozen from Costco)
2.      Pat the scallops dry with paper towels.  I put the flour, salt and pepper in a plastic bag and added the scallops.  Shake and put on a plate to dry.
3.      When ready to cook, heat the oil in an iron skillet to 450 degrees.  Add scallops and cook for 2 minutes. 
4.      Turn the scallops and cook for 1 minute. 
5.      Don’t tell, but I warmed canned creamed corn prior to starting.  I wish I would have tried to find fresh corn as the scallops were so good.  I previously blogged a Martha recipe that was easier than the one in this cookbook. I used my great IN corn to make ice cream. 
6.      Place the corn on a plate.  Put the scallops on the corn. 
7.      Add the butter and the lime zest to the skillet.
8.      When the butter is melted, add the lime juice and stir.  Just prepare yourself for stove mess.  The dish is worth it.
9.      Place the scallops over the corn and pour the sauce over.
This was a great dish.  Jim served a Mondavi Chardonnay 2009.  It was really good with the scallops.  These scallops were not for the diets concuss, but I just gave Jim more and dealt with the good taste.  We had a side salad.  For dessert Jim had his chocolate blueberry tart from yesterday and more Ice cream with raspberries on top.  I ate raspberries and was very happy.         

No comments:

Post a Comment