Saturday, August 25, 2012

Grilled Korean Skirt Steak


Tonight Jim had his steak.  My brother and I are not steak eaters.  My mother was a working mom before TV dinners and microwaves.  So, she bought a ½ cow and everything was turned into steak or burger.  Jim loves beef.  I always look for recipes that you can do something with.  This was a perfect answer and it was really good.  Jim ate his steak and rice traditionally.  I made lettuce wraps and they were great.  This recipe is from Fine Cooking Aug/ Sept 2012. 
Ingredients: 
½ medium Asian pear or medium ripe pear, peeled, cored, and cut into chunks.  (Asian pears are larger than the pear I bought so I used the whole pear pealed.
6 T soy sauce
¼ C sake
3 ½ T granulated sugar
3 medium cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 scallions, thinly sliced
1 T Asian sesame oil
1 T toasted sesame seeds
1 – 1 ½ # skirt steak, trimmed
2 C cooked short-grained rice, for serving.  I use Rose’s rice.
1 head red or green leaf lettuce, separate into leaves for serving. 
Directions:  
1.      In a blender, combine the pear, soy sauce, sake, sugar, garlic, ¼ t salt, and ¾ t pepper and process until smooth. 
2.      Transfer to a medium bowl and stir in the scallions, sesame oil, and sesame seeds. 
3.      Set aside ½ C of the marinade in a small bowl for serving. 
4.      With the tip of a paring knife, poke the steak all over, and then slice it crosswise into 3 or 4 even pieces. 
5.      Submerge the meat into the remaining marinade and let sit at room temperature while preparing the grill. 
6.      Prepare the grill for direct grilling over medium-high heat (about 400 F).  Grill the steak, flipping once, until browned on both sides and medium rare, 6-7 minutes total.
7.      Let the steak rest about 5 minutes, and then thinly slice on the diagonal. 
8.      Arrange the steak on a large platter with the rice and lettuce leaves for wrapping. 
9.      Serve the reserved marinade on the side for drizzling.   
Like I said in the beginning, I took a lettuce leaf and put rice, steak and sauce in it.  It was a very good meal.
Jim asked me how I liked the wine after the meal.  He bought this at the Market Basket in Lebanon.  It is a Petrignone Sangiovese Reiserva, 2006, Italy.  I think he should buy more.  It is very good.     

No comments:

Post a Comment