Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Sour Cream-Chicken Enchiladas

I know, I have been negligent about writing recipes I have been trying. Our club had their annual member guest and my brother came to play with Jim. Let’s just say that they have nowhere to go but up, but they had a good time. Mary and I also had a good time. The night they arrived I had the following ready for them. It was delicious. I cut this recipe out of the Tennessean.
Sour Cream-Chicken Enchiladas
Ingredients for the sour cream sauce:
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 Serrano chilies, diced
2 T butter
2 T flour (I used Wonder flour)
2 C chicken broth
2 C sour cream (I used reduced fat. Can also use Greek yogurt)
1 t cumin
1/4C chopped cilantro
Dash Cayenne
8 fresh tomatillos, husks removed and chopped or one 10 oz can of tomatillos.
Salt and pepper
Directions for the sauce:
1. Sauté the chopped garlic and Serrano peppers in butter. If you live in the east, don’t worry, but I have learned that “fresh peppers” here in TN are just like the ones in CA. My nose burned leaning over the stove to stir. And you guessed it, I forgot to wear rubber gloves while seeding. The recipe does not say to seed, but I did.
2. Add flour and chicken broth. Then add the sour cream and whish until thickens.
3. Add cumin, cilantro and cayenne pepper and remove from the stove. Blend with the tomatillos and set aside.
Ingredients for the enchiladas:
12 corn tortillas
1 T canola oil (I used spray oil)
Four boneless, skinless chicken breasts, shredded. (I bought nice size Purdue breasts and cooked them myself.)
½ medium onion, diced (about ¾ C)
2C Monterrey Jack cheese
Jalapeño, finely chopped for garnish (optional)
Instructions:
1. Heat the tortillas on each side with some canola oil. I spray the tortillas lightly and cook in a non-stick pan.
2. Lay wax paper on the counter and place the cook tortillas out.
3. In each tortilla, place a portion of shredded chicken, chopped onion and cheese.
4. You can use a 9 x 12 pan, but I found that a very old Pyrex pan from my mother that is 8 x 14 works perfectly.
5. Pour half the sauce in the bottom of the pan. Place the rolled enchiladas into the pan.
6. Pour the remaining sauce on the top of the enchiladas
7. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. I added more. Garnish with the fresh jalapenos. I did not do this as Jim has a real problem with hot food. I use canned jalapenos that come in a jar as I find them to have a better hotness than fresh, even here.
8. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
I made it earlier in the day. Took out of the refrigerator to warm to room temperature and baked.
The recipe does not say, but it easily serves 6.
The next days were filled with shopping, eating out and more shopping. Jim’s cousin Jo had an early birthday party for me on Saturday night and we have been in leftover mode since.

No comments:

Post a Comment